Wednesday, September 05, 2007

When life gives you lemons...

My dad is still gripped by mania. He called and left a message on my voicemail, yelling "Hallelujah! Can't wait to see my dear daughter!" He said "Hallelujah" like, 4 times. He also turned up his oldies music for me. Again.

I made arrangements with a close friend to eat with her on shabbos. She knows my father, so I won't feel embarrassed if he pulls any schtick. I have also decided to curtail my shabbos visiting time with him. After lunch I'll just tell him I'm tired. I know this is deceptive, but I can't say, "Dad, I don't want to be with you now." (Besides, he'll have me all day Sunday, in Jersey.)

What's the moral of this story? An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. If I had only been assertive in the first place, and told him it wasn't a good idea to come, I could've saved myself all this nonsense.

In the meantime, I'll enjoy the lemonade.

p.s. Today is my "english" birthday. I'm 32. Yay, me.

6 comments:

  1. Happy birthday! Here is a question, do you normally celebrate birthdays, or do you have a birthday according to the Jewish calendar?

    ReplyDelete
  2. i celebrate my hebrew birthday, which is aleph tishrei (rosh hashana).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday! Many happy returns of the day, ad meah v'esrim.

    Good luck with your father.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what a signifigant day for a birthday. Anyway, hope your day is great and that 32 is all it's cracked up to be. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous7:41 PM

    Mazel tov! Od meah v'esrim! Mine is the 17th of nissan (during Pesach)...so you get a new beginning and I get to have flourless cake. Huh. :) Have a fabulous birthday (today and next week!)

    ReplyDelete