Thursday, July 06, 2006
It's All Over Now, Baby Blue.

Every Thursday night, for more than a decade, a Grateful Dead band has been playing at a local restaurant/bar. They have a big open area outside for all the dancing, spinning revelry. The band plays other nights, but Thursday night has always been THE night.

Well, tonight is the band's last gig there. The place is closing. I can't tell you how sad this makes me. I feel like Thursday nights have been an institution - even though I haven't seen them in awhile. I would love to go, but that's not possible. Yaakov will - he and the guitarist are buddies from way back (and the bassist usually lets Yaakov sit in for a couple of tunes).

When I was younger, I would go every week. Oh, the fun we had! All the characters were out. Alley Cat and her crochet hats, Miracle with her long brown dreads, Tommy selling his crystals and pipes. We'd all sneak off to the beach between sets and get high, and then come back and drum or dance. (I left my drum with a Brooklyn percussionist, waaaa).

I feel, in some weird way, that I grew up there. Such good times, such great music. I'm really sad it's over.

It's like the end of an era.


1 Comments:

  • At 12:28 AM, Blogger Stephanie said…

    You couldn't possibly be talking about Crazy Fingers!!! Don't tell me!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I was going next thursday...i hope this isn't true

     

Post a Comment

<< Home


My Photo Name: Fancy Schmancy Anxiety Maven
Location: Chutz l'aretz - Outside of Brooklyn

fancymaven at gmail dot com