Monday, October 09, 2006
The Sukkos Experience:

Yaakov built a beautiful sukkah, as he has done for the past few years we've lived here (in Brooklyn ours was small - canvas and metal).

Friday night was lovely, my mom and brother came and we all ate in the sukkah (except Srulik, who crashed out early). The bug problem was totally insane. I even had one in my drink. One little green guy landed in the broccoli slaw. I freaked out, he looked so much like the rest of the salad. I'm grateful I saw him, otherwise he surely would have been eaten.

Shabbos lunch we ate out - most delightful, since I've been having guests for weeks. It was nice to be one for a change! I agreed to make dessert though - yellow cake with chocolate icing - which Yaakov delivered Thursday. I dolled it up with confetti sprinkle stars. I think I dropped no less than four comments that I made it. I never directly said, "I made this cake," but I would say things like, "You know the cookbook "The Kosher Palette?" Well, that's where I got the cake recipe from!" I was really uptight that people would think it was a Duncan Hines mix, I'm not sure why. Anyway, we're sitting in this family's sukkah, and I look up and I see a tree way above me. Halachically, tree branches are not supposed to be above a sukkah. I didn't say anything - I figured, maybe there was some limit as to how close the branches could be? At one point in the meal I got up, and when I returned the topic was under hot discussion. Apparently, the person building the sukkah had a certain perspective, and didn't see the way the branches fell. Certain parts of the sukkah were under the tree and certain weren't. It was a little awkward. The hostess paid a lot of money to have her trees trimmed for this very reason, imagine to hear that her sukkah was not kosher after all that! But lunch was great nonetheless. On our way home, Rivky fell on the sidewalk. She really cried, I felt so bad for her. She got a big 'ol scrape under her nose. It looks terrible.

Sunday morning was beautiful, we got to shake lulav and esrog. I even put them in Zalman's hands, and he got to do the mitzvah too. Contrary to the video I posted, a lulav and esrog are handled very reverently (especially when they cost 180 bucks). For yom tov lunch we had step-shvigger, my grandparents, and my brother again. My grandparents brought over 2 overripe canteloupes, they always do. It's practically a tradition. I think they buy them for themselves, then try to pass them off on us. This may or may not be true. Anyway, we had a great time. Plus, we got our family members to shake the lulav before they left, our first mivtzoyim customers.

It was a beautiful yom tov.


3 Comments:

  • At 11:24 PM, Blogger torontopearl said…

    Moadim L'simcha. Sounds nice.
    We had glorious weather for the weekend -- mild and sunny in the daytime, a bit chillier at night for the meals in the sukkah. (on Friday night, our guests kept coming into the house when I cleared the table between courses)

    Halachic question: is it minhag or halacha to light the shabbos/yom tov candles in the sukkah?

     
  • At 7:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I believe it is halacha, but it is definitely waived in cases where it would be unsafe. I'll look up the actual info later...

     
  • At 9:08 AM, Blogger Maven said…

    i think it's a minhag. i always light inside.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home


My Photo Name: Fancy Schmancy Anxiety Maven
Location: Chutz l'aretz - Outside of Brooklyn

fancymaven at gmail dot com