Tuesday, October 03, 2006
My Day of At-One-Ment.

For the record, I don't mind fasting. I mind taking care of four children while fasting! I was mean. I yelled. I told Rivky that I felt like hitting her (she climbed on top of the baby and woke him). Chaya and Rivky were at it all day. "She did it! She started it! Mommy, she bit me!" I took all candy and treats away - forever.

I thought of other Jewish mothers, locked in their houses. Nowhere to go and kids to watch. I felt connected to them, and took a sadistic measure of comfort thinking they were probably being witches, too. At one point I threw up my hands and yelled at G-d; "There's four of them and one of me - are those odds fair?!"

Towards Ne'ila time,
I asked G-d to forgive me for being a mean mother. As I stood there praying aloud, I felt a pair of arms wrap around my leg. I looked down and saw Chaya's eyes, full of love, looking up at me. It was a moment - I never realized she had Yaakov's eyes. And my heart filled with gratitude for my children.

Nonetheless, I think I need a yom kippur to atone for my yom kippur.


2 Comments:

  • At 10:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    VICTORY! The main thing is that you fasted! Astounding that you actually davvenned as well!!! what helped over here- with our 4 boys under age five- was a new toy (we got them 'clicks' which are a building toy like legos), and food arts- friut loops on licorice rope necklaces, and "peanut butter and jelly cones"- also one of our favorite traditions has become a long dramatic re-telling of the story of Yona. This year the boys acted it out as well- between these activities that accounted for a bout 4 hours of activities! PHEW!!!!!

     
  • At 4:44 PM, Blogger Wendy said…

    It IS the eyes, isn't it? No matter how difficult the kids can be some days, the look in their eyes makes it go away.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home


My Photo Name: Fancy Schmancy Anxiety Maven
Location: Chutz l'aretz - Outside of Brooklyn

fancymaven at gmail dot com