Tuesday, September 26, 2006
Galactic!

I went to a shiur tonight and the Rabbi related a funny story. The violinist Itzhak Perlman was in his house talking to a friend, when a painting fell off the wall. So Itzhak says, "I'll call the handyman." The friend said, "What? A handyman to hang a picture back up? Are you crazy? Just take a hammer and do it yourself!" So Itzhak wiggled his fingers and said; "These are international fingers! I'm not gonna chance it!"

Another rabbi heard this story and related it to Yidden. "We're international neshomas! First class neshomas! Galactic neshomas!" (Of course my ears perked up at "galactic.") If there's something we question, should I wear it or not wear it? Eat it or not eat it? Speak about it or not speak about it? Why chance it?

If that's the way Perlman feels about his fingers, imagine how careful we have to be with our precious Jewish souls?


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


My Photo Name: Fancy Schmancy Anxiety Maven
Location: Chutz l'aretz - Outside of Brooklyn

fancymaven at gmail dot com