Tuesday, September 12, 2006
Brooklyn, Here We Come.

Every year, I make an annual pilgrimage back to the Brooklyn Ghetto - Crown Heights. My home for 8 years. I became frum there, got married there, started my family there. It's a place full of friends and connections. It will always be a part of me.

I'm leaving Friday morning, and I'm bringing Zalman and Chaya. They don't know this yet.
I've been holding off on telling them because a) Rivky will be devastated, and b) I know Chaya will not stop talking about it. That will be like salt in poor Rivky's wound. Srulik won't care one way or the other, which is good. I only have to deal with damage control for one kid.

Chaya is 6 1/2 and this trip will be meaningful for her. She will really be able to understand and "grok" the significance of such a journey. Rivky and Zalman would not appreciate it - their time will come.

I was thinking about telling them on Friday morning, a couple of hours before we left. But I think that may be too shocking. So I've settled for Thursday night. I thought I'd make a yummy dinner that everybody likes (spaghetti and meatballs?). Yaakov or I will say, "Mommy and Tatty have something to tell you..." Then I'll have to make lame offers for fun while I'm away. "Just think - Tatty will take you swimming at Nana's!"

Any suggestions for softening the blow? I'll take them gratefully.

...sigh...


1 Comments:

  • At 8:39 PM, Blogger Wendy said…

    Good plan - make the home part special too! Have a great trip.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home


My Photo Name: Fancy Schmancy Anxiety Maven
Location: Chutz l'aretz - Outside of Brooklyn

fancymaven at gmail dot com