Monday, October 30, 2006
Is it just me?

Awhile ago, I filled out some shul paperwork. I was asked to write in my anniversary, and the birthdays for my family members. Unusual, I thought, but why not?

Today I got a phone call from a shul employee. "Hi Mrs. Maven. I see your anniversary is coming up, mazel tov. Would you like to sponsor a farbrengen, kiddush, or shul event in honor of that?"


What? I thought when they asked for that information it was for record-keeping. I thought it was kind of sweet, actually. I felt so proud filling in all our special days. I didn't know it was to hit me up for money. It makes me feel sad, and used. I'm not going to say anything, though. I wouldn't know who to talk to, and I'm not sure what I'd say. Likely, I'd just come off as a complainer.

And here's another thing. Chaya had a loose tooth - her very first. She kept bothering us to pull it out, but it just wasn't ready yet. We told her when it was ready to come out, we'd assist. So today she comes to me on the carpool line, grinning like a maniac. "Look!" She waved the tissue in her hand. "My tooth came out!" I was surprised. It sure wasn't ready to come out this morning! "How did that happen?" I asked. "My morah (teacher) pulled it out!"

This bothered me. What right is it of hers to pull my kids' tooth out? She's there to teach them, not do dental work. I mean, if she was going to do that, she could have at least called and asked. We, as her parents, were not going to remove the tooth just yet. It was not ready to come out!

I love this teacher. She's very experienced, and she's sweet with the children. And they're learning so much. Rivky will likely have her as a teacher in a couple of years. Plus, I see her quite often at shul. I'm not willing to risk my pleasant relationship with her to complain about "the tooth incident."

So there you have it: Two things that happened in my life today that I'm unwilling to speak up about. I guess that's why I have a blog.

Sigh.


10 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


My Photo Name: Fancy Schmancy Anxiety Maven
Location: Chutz l'aretz - Outside of Brooklyn

fancymaven at gmail dot com