Wednesday, October 11, 2006
Weight Watchers.

I went back to WW last week. Although I lost 12 pounds myself at home, after awhile it got to be 2 steps forward, one step back. I'd stay within my "points" range for a few days, then cheat for a couple of days, then go back to dieting...you get the idea. I felt like I needed to be accountable. I figured that if I spent the money to go to meetings, I would make an effort to stay on track.

So I went last week and weighed in. I was surprised at the number - I thought I weighed less! (My bathroom scale lies.) The meeting leader was an adorable 60-something lady, well-groomed and obviously Jewish. She picked me out as Jewish too, and we had a nice schmooze at the end of class (along with a Catholic lady). We talked about a lot of things, she asked me how many kids I planned on having. I shrugged. She thought that was crazy. I asked her what her Hebrew name was. She wrinkled her nose - "Yochevert." I replied, "You must mean Yocheved! She was Moses' mother, and one of the Jewish midwives in Egypt." She never knew this.

This week, before I went to the meeting, I printed out a little explanation about who Yocheved was. I rolled the paper into a scroll, and tied it with a pink ribbon. I wanted it to be beautiful, so she could celebrate her special name. I also brought along my lulav and esrog, so she could shake them. She had never seen them before. I was so honored to introduce her to the mitzvah! The secretary was a Jew, and she also did it. The Catholic lady was there again, and I didn't want her to feel left out. So she did it too, minus the brocha. "I can always use a little extra luck!" she said.

And the good news is, I lost 3.5 pounds! I am very proud of myself, especially since it was yom tov (and I didn't eat one bite of the apple pie I baked).

p.s. Today I saw the most amazing iguana. Way better than yesterday's. First of all, it was HUGE. Second of all, it had bright orange legs.
I never saw one like that - I wish I had my camera.

p.p.s. Toronto Pearl, it is indeed a minhag to light inside the sukkah, we looked it up.



7 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home