Wednesday, October 11, 2006
Weight Watchers.

I went back to WW last week. Although I lost 12 pounds myself at home, after awhile it got to be 2 steps forward, one step back. I'd stay within my "points" range for a few days, then cheat for a couple of days, then go back to dieting...you get the idea. I felt like I needed to be accountable. I figured that if I spent the money to go to meetings, I would make an effort to stay on track.

So I went last week and weighed in. I was surprised at the number - I thought I weighed less! (My bathroom scale lies.) The meeting leader was an adorable 60-something lady, well-groomed and obviously Jewish. She picked me out as Jewish too, and we had a nice schmooze at the end of class (along with a Catholic lady). We talked about a lot of things, she asked me how many kids I planned on having. I shrugged. She thought that was crazy. I asked her what her Hebrew name was. She wrinkled her nose - "Yochevert." I replied, "You must mean Yocheved! She was Moses' mother, and one of the Jewish midwives in Egypt." She never knew this.

This week, before I went to the meeting, I printed out a little explanation about who Yocheved was. I rolled the paper into a scroll, and tied it with a pink ribbon. I wanted it to be beautiful, so she could celebrate her special name. I also brought along my lulav and esrog, so she could shake them. She had never seen them before. I was so honored to introduce her to the mitzvah! The secretary was a Jew, and she also did it. The Catholic lady was there again, and I didn't want her to feel left out. So she did it too, minus the brocha. "I can always use a little extra luck!" she said.

And the good news is, I lost 3.5 pounds! I am very proud of myself, especially since it was yom tov (and I didn't eat one bite of the apple pie I baked).

p.s. Today I saw the most amazing iguana. Way better than yesterday's. First of all, it was HUGE. Second of all, it had bright orange legs.
I never saw one like that - I wish I had my camera.

p.p.s. Toronto Pearl, it is indeed a minhag to light inside the sukkah, we looked it up.



3 Comments:

  • At 8:08 PM, Blogger torontopearl said…

    Thank you, Maven. You're not called a maven for nothing!
    I've been polling everyone I know since Saturday night when I saw the candles in my friend's sukkah. Most don't light in the sukkah and claim it's minhag.

    Good for you re. WW. I don't have the discipline; my husband joined me up for Curves, and I don't even go regularly for that, even though the entire circuit takes 30 minutes!

    That's so nice what you did re. the Yocheved explanation, as well as bringing the lulav and etrog to the meeting. Did you tell everyone to "Sniff...and...Shake"!

     
  • At 2:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Just look around...there are mitzvot to be done everywhere!

     
  • At 6:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    :) Maven

     

Post a Comment

<< Home