Sunday, November 12, 2006
Keep on Blogging in the Free World...

One of my friends has started blogging again after a long hiatus. Her return made me think about blogs, and blogging in general.

The blogs I read, I feel like I sorta "know" the blogger.
I get involved with their lives and their stories. There's a certain familiarity there. But the truth is, I don't know them at all.

The converse is also true. Most of my readers don't know me at all. (I say most, because some readers are my close friends. One is even my husband.) I feel when I write, I project a certain personality - my "blog persona". And while that is a true refection of me, there's so, so much more (both good and not). Thank you for reading.

Some people have said that blogging is therapeutic, and I agree. Although I think they are referring to writing about their problems. I write about everything else! My deepest issues I save for friends (except the things I've wanted to send to postsecret).

I think I've explored a lot on this blog: My bi-polar father, fights with Yaakov, my parenting challenges. I've talked about the Grateful Dead, Weight Watchers, and struggles with frumkeit. I wrote Zalman's birth story. But I never talked about the relief I felt when my step-father died (there, I said it). I've never written the wretched secrets that burden my soul. I never wrote about losing a friendship I thought would last forever.

Maybe I will someday. Or maybe I'll find a therapist.


6 Comments:

  • At 9:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You ROCK ON, Mammala!
    We LOVE You and all your crazy , hairy weird secrets Too!!!

     
  • At 2:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Maven -- I was thinking the same thing about the blogging persona this morning as I contemplated what my next post will be about. I think the persona is part of the creative aspect of blogging; it allows us an opportunity to explore a particular voice that, while it certainly does not encompass the gestalt of personality, clearly represents the face, as bloggers, we chose to put out there.

    I certainly appreciate your blogging persona. I am a regular visitor to your blog (I even posted a link for easy access).

    Mrs. Joseph

     
  • At 10:11 AM, Blogger Stephanie said…

    I think i might be too personal on my blogs..but hey, thats just me. There are things maybe I don't discuss..but there are a lot that I do..to me, its therapeutic...like listening to a dead tune.
    BTW..I despise the word verification on blogs..I don't use it on mine..lol

     
  • At 12:18 PM, Blogger Maven said…

    yeah, i hate it too but i was getting too much spam. maybe i'll turn it off and see what happens.

     
  • At 2:13 PM, Blogger Mrs Andy said…

    I've enjoyed reading about your life and your kids. I'm not Jewish, so your point of view is always refreshing to me. I think you are an amazing mom and person. Don't stop!

     
  • At 7:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ooh No

    I read your statement in the photo on your masthead and I begin to think.

    She is one so young to the ways of genetics, I think.

    My wife is so fearful of becoming her mother, but then again, I think, that she has turned into the wrong parent, as she is more like her father than her father ever was.

    So you can imagine my angst at discovering that after 50 years of marriage that I have ended up with her "Daddy"

    Btw, I came by way of your response at the Skittles site

     

Post a Comment

<< Home


My Photo Name: Fancy Schmancy Anxiety Maven
Location: Chutz l'aretz - Outside of Brooklyn

fancymaven at gmail dot com