Thursday, October 20, 2005
Happily Ever After

There's a blog I read pretty regularly written by a certain girl in Manhattan. She is married to a man from England. She's a good writer, too.

This couple has the happiest life ever.

She met him and fell madly in love (I read all about it). They arranged a U.S. visa for him. Seven months later, they were married. They just celebrated their first anniversary.

I have seen all their pictures online. Her trips to England. Their wedding at city hall. Their apartment (recently re-done by IKEA). Their first Christmas. All their friends. Her recent posts about how she can't wait to spend the rest of her life with him.

I want to puke. I am so jealous.

Yaakov and I have been married almost 7 years now. We have our interesting story. We've had our ups and downs - count on it. But when I think of us, I think of Archie and Edith Bunker. Plus, we have 3 kids. Our life is, well...schleppy.

Then I get mad at myself. How can I compare my holy Jewish marriage to this stupid blog I read online? And another thing, who says that marriage is supposed to be all rainbows and sunshine? I remember once a religious friend of mine talking to her father about why her friend had gotten a divorce. "She just woke up one day and realized she didn't love him." "WHAT?!" her father yelled. "That's a reason not to stay married? You think you don't love somebody?"

The bottom line is, Hashem has His reasons for Yaakov and I. I can either embrace them, or be petulant (insert Edith shriek here).


9 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


My Photo Name: Fancy Schmancy Anxiety Maven
Location: Chutz l'aretz - Outside of Brooklyn

fancymaven at gmail dot com