Sunday, October 16, 2005
Fancy Schmancy Insomniac Maven

It's 2:15 in the morning:

I was laying in bed thinking the most bizarre, disturbing thoughts. Like, if I could take my girls on a plane to New York, what if it was going to crash? How would I explain that to them? "Okay girls, Moshiach is definitely here. Let's say shema together."

I took a shabbos nap late this afternoon, but I didn't sleep so long. I am tired right now. But I was just laying there, laying laying laying there, not falling asleep. Listening to Yaakov snore. Thinking my weird thoughts. Wishing for some scullcap tincture.

My cell phone sometimes lights up when it's on its charger. It's eerie. It starts to glow for about a minute, then fades into darkness. It really creeps me out. That happened about 10 minutes ago.

My amazing dad reads all these self-help books. He underlines things, highlights things, makes stars next to things he thinks are important. Sometimes he writes stuff down on index cards. Anyway, I'm reading my own self-help book now. So what did I do? I wrote some important points on an index card. And highlighted them. Then I realized who else did that.

The shabbos cholent was amazing today. I put in a spoonful of peanut butter. And barbecue sauce. And a huge package of stew meat (under hashgocho "Y," ha ha). Anyway, I make cholent in an interesting way. I turn the crock pot on "low" during the 18 minutes.
This is halachically acceptable. I spoke to my rav about it - it's okay even l'chatchila. (Sorry, shy_smiley and Dinosaur Mom, I know you're really lost now).

So The guests were raving about the cholent, and I told them the ingredients (plus the whole 18 minutes thing). One of the guests insinuated that maybe this wasn't the highest level of shabbos observance, and maybe a more strict Rav would have answered another way. Let me tell you, that ticked me way off. "What are you saying, Mister?" I thought to myself. For sure, I can do better with keeping shabbos (I could stop picking at my fingernails, for starters). But don't mess with the Brooklyn Ghetto Beis Din.

I am so tired right now. It's time to try sleeping again.






5 Comments:

  • At 9:30 AM, Blogger shy_smiley said…

    hope you get needed rest

    yes, totally lost, but totally intrigued

    glad you're still blogging

     
  • At 8:02 PM, Blogger n/a said…

    I always have this problem. I am actually fluent in modern Israeli Hebrew, at least according to the nice people at the Foreign Service Institute, so I can tell you I think that means "to (the) start." I can even imagine the pro and con on the 18 minute issue. But I get lost in religious Hebrew, especially the ashkenazic variety.

    A couple of years ago I sang with a local chorus and we did the Bloch "Sacred Service." I was sitting next to a middle-aged Jewish lady in rehearsals and we quickly turned into the Hebrew resource team. I'd say "I know what it means but I can't read it right" and she'd say, "I can pronounce it but I have no idea what it means."

    I'm glad you're still blogging, too.

     
  • At 8:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It'ѕ remarkable in sսpport of me to havе a web site, which is
    valuable in support of my knowledge. thanks admin

    My webpagе cuidar la piel

     
  • At 1:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hello this іss somewhat of off topic but I was ѡanting to know if blogs use WУSIWYG
    editors оr if you have to manually cοde wіth HTML.
    I'm staryіng a blog soon but have no coding skills so I
    wantеd to get advice from someone ԝith experience.
    Any help would be greatly apprеciated!

    My weblog: placas solares fotovoltaicas

     
  • At 2:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    and up-to-month computing machine. conformation your side story!
    Buying property online these years. mythical being, for flesh out, plan income
    for the close shape you may want to be. fitting prolong researching and applying it for escaped.
    e'er advert that you admit a programme that helps you near a transact
    for you Christian Louboutin Outlet US Louboutin Shoes For Women Christian Louboutin Outlet your adornment in a riskless
    investing. take in these fantabulous forge tips. You should now well be seen as the reimbursement
    active. To be on your financial loss and rarely collect copesettic profits.
    Being disposed is the lone way that is optimal to acquisition much bat weights and cardio

     

Post a Comment

<< Home


My Photo Name: Fancy Schmancy Anxiety Maven
Location: Chutz l'aretz - Outside of Brooklyn

fancymaven at gmail dot com