Tuesday, October 11, 2005
Tikkun and Teshuva.

Chaya brought home someone else's toy from school today. A camera, with all the Disney heroines in the viewer. *Click!* Cinderella! *Click!* The Little Mermaid! *Click!* Sleeping Beauty! YAY!

Yaakov and I do NOT let these ladies into our home. They are an immodest bunch of shikses (especially that mermaid girlie). I don't need to fill my kids' heads with love and romance, either.

Not to mention the fact that it brings up a lot of stuff for me, personally. When I was a child, my all-too-liberal parents had tons of inappropriate things in their house. They didn't even bother to hide it. I feel like my childhood innocence was robbed from me. Not that Disney movies compare to my parents' stash, not by a longshot. But there's a lot of baggage there for me.

So instead of reaching out from a place of love, I lashed out from a place of fear. "That's inappropriate! Give the camera to me, NOW! I'm putting it away!" I was fearful, and it manifested as anger. Me, afraid of the Disney wenches. Me, projecting my childhood onto Chaya. I could have, should have
come from a place of warmth and love.

Next time, with G-d's help, I will.


2 Comments:

  • At 8:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    No, i think you did a good job- if you had acted blase about it -like no-big-dealish about it- she would not get any message that such things are "off". While giving it that type of a charge could potentially increase her interest in it- its very important to define what's "right" and "wrong"- this is where all the problems "out there" begin altogether- that such images of the sexy "little mermaid" is what little girls want o be like- and its so socailly accepted that noone even blinks! Its mammash disgusting (wow I sound like fanatic!)- do you even know how the image of a mermaid was created? its a total sex symbol that sailors halucinated when they were out at sea so long that they imagined walrusses (or some other similar animal) were women!

     
  • At 8:23 PM, Blogger n/a said…

    My oldest son drew a brilliant cartoon/"contract" enjoining all the members of our household to "Go To Work. Be a Brave Team Worker. Worship the Needleheads." (Needleheads apparently being a race of assembly-line-building space aliens.) I explained to boy that people are really only supposed to worship the Almighty and he crossed out the last sentence. I don't think the eight year old was really advocating a new religion, but I thought it was important for him to know that there was a moral faultline there.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home