Thursday, January 26, 2006
Hindsight is 20/20

Today, Yaakov and I were talking about putting money away for pesach. It ended up getting a little heated. Whenever we try to talk about money, or budgeting, or bills, our tempers flare a little. I know this is normal. I heard money is the #1 thing couples argue about. There was a lot of finger-pointing.

We don't use our credit cards at all, so planning for big expenditures is key. And L-rd knows, pesach is expensive. With shmura matzo averaging up to 15.00 per pound, plus wine, grape juice, meat, chicken, and every peelable fruit and vegetable under the sun, it ends up being a very costly chag. I think pesach may cost more than all of tishrei.

We have a couple of new monthly expenses that add up to quite a lot. So, we're spending more money. And saving money has never been our strong point. Sigh.

Plus, I've had some weird experiences with tzedoka collectors lately. We try to give at least 18 or 36 to whomever comes to the door, but twice the following has happened: We write the check, and then the collector says, "Oh, maybe you can give to my other organization." The first time it happened, well, okay. The second time it happened, I couldn't help but wondering if it was some kind of trick. I felt cheated. I don't know why it made me feel like that, but it did. The last guy asked me to write the check to cash.

So tonight I was sitting on the porch, talking to G-d and recovering from a very stressful bedtime with the kids. Up to my door walks a collector. I sent him away. I told him we had given all our maisser gelt, I was sorry, yada yada. The truth is, we are a little tight. Plus, I've been a little leery of them lately. And to top it all off, I was in a very bad mood. I was still brooding over bedtime. And pesach. Yaakov was off to do a tahara - our mitzvos were covered for the night, I rationalized.

How could I turn a tzedoka collector away? I'm sorry, G-d.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


My Photo Name: Fancy Schmancy Anxiety Maven
Location: Chutz l'aretz - Outside of Brooklyn

fancymaven at gmail dot com