Wednesday, February 22, 2006
Goodbye, Superwoman.

This morning I got a much needed break. Mrs. Stein took Srulik and Rivky for 5 hours.

We've tried to get this off the ground for awhile now. Last week my kids were sick, the week before hers were, blah blah - something was always coming up. But this week we made it happen. I took her kids yesterday, and she took mine today.

Something magical happened to me. I got to go into several stores, by myself. I went to a doctor's appointment, by myself. I got to drive in my car - sans Uncle Moishy - all by myself! No kids in and out of carseats, no bathroom trips, no diaper bag. No insanity. I even got to do uninterrupted housework, which was a pleasure.

I reflected about what I wrote yesterday. No doubt, my life is challenging. But I'm not so good about getting the help I need. I always think I have to be Superwoman and do it all, just because I can. I'm beginning to realize that I need to preserve myself, and get some help now and again. I need to be able to have some private time as a person - I can't be in mommy-mode 24/7.

I think there's a part of me that thinks there's a weakness involved, in needing help. But knowing one's boundaries - and seeking help - is a sign of strength, not weakness. And, by the way, the Rebbe also said that women should get help. I'm going to try.

** Special thanks to Brooklyn Crisis Friend who has a) often encouraged me to get help and b) been a living example by getting plenty of help herself.


1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


My Photo Name: Fancy Schmancy Anxiety Maven
Location: Chutz l'aretz - Outside of Brooklyn

fancymaven at gmail dot com