Saturday, February 11, 2006
When Shabbos was Saturday...

I was sitting in the backyard with my kids this morning, when my back door neighbor came out. She's an old Jewish lady, not religious. We schmooze sometimes over the fence. She's a yenta. She has a dog, and I see her when she lets the dog in and out.

So we're schmoozing, and Srulik pipes up, "My tatty is in shul." She smiled. "I know, and so is Chaya, right?" "Yeah. We're going later," I added. Then I asked, "What are you doing today?" She said, "I think I'm going to a movie." Then she went inside.

It hit me in the weirdest way. A movie? I remembered how I used to do stuff like that on saturdays. Friday meant the end of the week, and the beginning of 2 glorious days of "I can do whatever I want". Even the DJ's on the radio talked about it, like it was some kind of holy grail. THE WEEKEND.

I remembered the mentality I used to have - driving to people's houses to share a shabbos meal with them. I would enjoy a little shabbos, and then drive away - back into saturday. I don't mind having a shabbos meal with you, but 25 hours of this? Being frum was for somebody else.

Needless to say, it's not a "weekend" to me anymore. Friday is basically dedicated to getting ready for shabbos. As soon as those candles are lit, something happens: the day of rest has arrived. I can't wait to go to bed after dinner! I love my nap shabbos afternoon. It's wonderful not to use the phone, the computer, and the car.

My whole week revolves around this holiest of days.


2 Comments:

  • At 3:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm not Jewish, but I feel the same way about the Sabbath. Isn't it nice to have just a day to concentrate on God and the things that are really important in life? Thank you for sharing your experiences with others, and it's nice to know that others are keeping the Sabbath. :) A Mormon in New Mexico

     
  • At 8:24 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Michigan fans Nike Air Max 90 in Ann Arbor are in for a treat at the expense Nike Air Max 2015 Shoes of a fancy restaurant chain. Yesterday, fine-dining steak chain Ruth’s Chris nfl jerseys store posted a promotion on Facebook stating that for the NFL Jerseys rest of the season, fans in Ann Arbor will get a percentage discount off their bill equal Nike Roshe Run to the Michigan margin of cheap nfl jerseys victory (up wholesale nfl jerseys to 50 percent) of the prior game. It’s an innocent promotion to drive some traffic to a dining establishment that prices out a fair amount of Nike Free Run people.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home


My Photo Name: Fancy Schmancy Anxiety Maven
Location: Chutz l'aretz - Outside of Brooklyn

fancymaven at gmail dot com