Sunday, November 26, 2006
Sunday Fun!

Yaakov had an all-day class yesterday, so me and the kids went to mom's (yaaaaay Nana!).

As soon as I got on 95, 8 bikers got on too. Safety in numbers! So I'm following the bikers for miles and miles, when all of a sudden (out of nowhere!) another biker joins. Bearded and burly, riding his big 'ol hog. No helmet, with long hair trailing in the breeze (and a bald spot). AND he had a cigarette in his mouth! I found the whole thing terribly amusing, and called Yaakov right away. "You're calling me to tell me that?" he said. I guess I found it funnier than he did.

We went to the local pizza shop, but I didn't eat a thing. I had purposely eaten turkey before I left home, to "fleish" myself so I wouldn't be able to eat there. I keep wanting to offer this tip at a weight watchers meeting...

Then we went to the local playground, where I was surprised to see tons of moms and kids. I got into an interesting conversation with a Jewish couple there, who wanted to get married. I gently broached the topic of family purity to the bride, who seemed enthusiastic about it. I got her email address so I'll try and keep up with her.

On the whole it was a wonderful, productive day.


4 Comments:

  • At 7:40 PM, Blogger n/a said…

    Family purity would probably help people with the rhythm method, come to think of it. I will have to mention this at Catholic sex ed class Wednesday.

    I used to be very strict about - I forget what it's called in Orthodox Judaism, but it's basicaly the premise that a man and a woman not married to each other shouldn't be in a closed space together without an open door. I've gotten a little lax about that in general, but I do still refrain from boarding elevators alone with men in kipot, since I figure my presence might make them uncomfortable.

     
  • At 7:53 AM, Blogger Maven said…

    keeping track of one's cycle (in general) would help with the rhythm method, but one of the main goals of family purity is to actually *produce* children!

    the premise you are talking about is called "yichud," and i commend you for your awareness and sensitivity.

     
  • At 8:22 AM, Blogger Tzvi Meir & Ayala said…

    although i don't think an elevator is a real problem.

     
  • At 1:37 PM, Blogger Barb said…

    I can see the humor in the other biker :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home


My Photo Name: Fancy Schmancy Anxiety Maven
Location: Chutz l'aretz - Outside of Brooklyn

fancymaven at gmail dot com