Thursday, November 16, 2006
Ushpizin.

It is said that to have guests is to have the Shechina (G-dly presence) in your home. Why do we merit the Shechina simply by having guests? Because having guests is not simple! That's why - when done properly - G-d fills the home.

Who is our role model? Avraham! His tent was open on all 4 sides, so guests could come from every direction. He fed them, loved them, talked to them about G-d. He even had guests right after his bris (when he was 99 years old). That's serious business.

Having guests is a mitzvah - hachnossas orchim. And when doing this mitzvah, you strive to do your very best. I like to do little things, like buy them nice shower gel and shampoo. I have fun rolling up towels and washcloths for them on their neatly made beds. I like to leave them little gifties; a pair of earrings, a book, a toy. And that's what I'll do in January: a family is coming for 2 weeks to stay with us. We know them (but not really), we're friendly (but not really). I'm nervous (really).

When I broached the guest-idea to Yaakov, he waved his hands dismissively. "It's such a big mitzvah, don't worry - everything will work out." But I am worried. For one, They have 2 small kids, so there's real insanity potential there with my gang. Two, they have this crazy diet with all kinds of specifications (their nutritionist eats buffalo meat. Does that tell you anything?). Feeding guests always takes some fancy footwork (you don't want to give them fishsticks, the old stand-by). But special restrictions on top of that? Plus, they're traveling while they're here. So they might come, go, and then come back again. A little hectic.

I know the wife, she's awesome. I'm looking forward to getting to know her more. Nonetheless, I'm daunted. It's a big deal to host a family. It's expensive, it's nutty, it's crowded. You really have to be on your best behavior (no farting outside your bedroom).

Not only is this big January trip coming up, but my dad wants to come in February. And so does Canada-friend. So we really have a lot of chances to be like Avraham.

I hope G-d doesn't ask us to sacrifice any of our kids.


4 Comments:

  • At 7:31 AM, Blogger Stephanie said…

    I am learning so much from you Maven. I love your stories! Sounds like you will have a full house and it will be hectic. Living in florida one knows about hosting guests, especially in winter. Anyway..you have the perfect personality for hosting..seems that way to me anyway. So do I actually. I am very laid back and relaxed about such things. I am sure the kids will have a ball and the woman you are hosting will surely be of help as well. Don't worry about it..just let it flow:)

     
  • At 7:32 AM, Blogger Stephanie said…

    oh yeah and if you want..you can come over and shoot some pool!! Don't worry, I will lose cause i suck..but trust me, I will get better!

     
  • At 9:20 AM, Blogger torontopearl said…

    I love that last line!

    I'm sure you'll be the best hostess...and will only grumble after they leave. Wishing you much "koach" to deal with it all.

     
  • At 7:46 PM, Blogger Wendy said…

    I hope it's fun. Yes, it's hard, but you have the right attitude!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home


My Photo Name: Fancy Schmancy Anxiety Maven
Location: Chutz l'aretz - Outside of Brooklyn

fancymaven at gmail dot com