Sunday, February 11, 2007
Baked?

I have a friend whose husband is buddies with a bakery owner here. Sometimes, he gives my friend's husband surplus baked goods. A few times these have been passed on to me. I then have the merit of sharing them with other families in the neighborhood.

So my friend called me erev shabbos and asked if I could pass the goods along (that sounds mafioso, right?). I thought I could, but then I got busy with my baby and with shabbos and wasn't able to do it. I felt bad. For me, the mitzvah is to get them to the families before shabbos. Then they have an unexpected kichel or challah to enjoy.

I wasn't able to get the stuff out motsei shabbos, either, and I had extended family here all day. I figured I would do the mitzvah tonight. The first person I called to deliver to said; "Did you know Sara had a baby boy? I think they're making the bris this week. How about you give it all to them?" Beautiful! I coordinated with one of Sara's neighbors, and arranged to bring it to her. It was a 20 minute drive, so I decided to pull out an old Dead tape.

I rummaged around and found the very first show I ever heard. I got all excited to have this private car time - just me and the Dead (and the pastries). I called a buddy in Crown Heights: "MAVEN! I'm so happy to hear from you! I'm just about to open an Iggeres Hakodesh with my husband. Can I talk to you later?" I clicked off my cell phone and continued listening to "Gimme Some Lovin'." I started thinking about my holy friend and her holy husband. Was he putting on a gartel? They were probably facing a major decision and were writing in to the Rebbe. I felt sad. When was the last time Yaakov and I wrote to the Rebbe? What happened to our hiskashrus? Why can't we be like them?

And then another voice said; Stop comparing! Look what you're doing right now! You went out of your way to drive these mitzvah pastries - for a bris! And Yaakov is home washing dishes and helping around the house. Nu, what's wrong with that?

...Nothing!

p.s. 6/15/85 Greek Theatre set II

China>Rider
Sailor>Saint>Terrapin
Drumspace
Wheel>Gimme Some Lovin'>Throwin' Stones
Not Fade Away

Encore:
She Belongs to Me
U.S. Blues






4 Comments:

  • At 11:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Maven. I'm just commenting because you haven't had many comments for a while, and I don't want you to stop blogging. I read your blog every day - not only do I read it, but I look forward to reading it. I'm not frum, but I am a Jew, and everything you say resonates with me. And I'm the QUEEN of beating myself up.
    So,
    Thanks for your blog, and just to let you know, The Grateful Dead won a Lifetime Achievement Grammy last night. You can probably find it on YOUTUBE.
    Thanks for the blog Maven, I just wanted you to know that your blog itself is a mitzvah.
    Vicke

     
  • At 2:37 PM, Blogger Wendy said…

    Saw some shows on that tour - not that one. Three of my favorites: China, Rider, Wheel. Love Wheel. I belt it out every time. Amazing version from Fox Theater, Atlanta. I forget the year right now.

    Lovely that you could take the goods for the bris. Almost as if you couldn't disperse them before Shabbos for a reason. Nice.

     
  • At 4:24 PM, Blogger Stephanie said…

    hey Maven..I was at that concert!!
    twirling around to the memories:)

     
  • At 8:04 AM, Blogger Maven said…

    Vicke - every now and again i'll get a comment or an email that is really uplifting.

    many thanks from me and my self esteem.

    p.s. there can be only ONE queen of self-flagellation, and that is i. however, i hereby appoint you princess royal.

    wendy - i also love to belt out "wheel." - "BOUND TO COVER JUST A LITTLE MORE GROUND!"

    re: the baked stuff, for sure it was hashgocho protis that i couldn't get it out before shabbos. It all worked out so beautifully.

    stephanie - where ya been, girl?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home


My Photo Name: Fancy Schmancy Anxiety Maven
Location: Chutz l'aretz - Outside of Brooklyn

fancymaven at gmail dot com