Monday, May 14, 2007
Kashrus Revisited:

The kashrus post elicited a lot of comments, much to my surprise.

Anonym00kie wonders why I choose to follow Rav Plony's rulings. I guess because he's my Rav.

Stephanie wonders if I'm confused. I probably am, but what else is new?

I myself wonder why I'm being so strict in the kashrus department. One part feels that it's simply because Rav Plony says so. Another part can't help but wonder if I'm motivated by guilt or by fear. Is this quest for kashrus perfection somehow tied into my childhood? And a third part thinks all this self-analysis is yetzer hara. I mean, it's not a bad thing to improve in kashrus. I don't have to analyze why I want to be more mehader with a mitzvah.

p.s. In Crown Heights, for the first time, I used a light-box to check vegetables. Now I want one.

p.p.s. The people with the light-box had all kinds of cereals in their house. Does G-d have a sense of humor, or what?



3 Comments:

  • At 6:33 AM, Blogger Stephanie said…

    to tell you the truth..more than anything I find this all very interesting and confusing! Yes..it is I that is confused about so many different things, but intrigued as well. I truly do love the differences of people and sects.. i love learning about it. I may not be able to make logic to it but so what? That was never the point. Keep on truckin Maven!

     
  • At 10:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    p.p.s. The people with the light-box had all kinds of cereals in their house. Does G-d have a sense of humor, or what?

    Because for US its not a chumra because we dont agree that cherrios is served at a state dinner
    Believe me Bukingham Palace doesnt stock it

     
  • At 11:06 PM, Blogger Maven said…

    limey - i think the cereal issue involved other things besides suitability for shulchan hamelech. but what do i know? that's why he's the rov and i'm the housewife.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home


My Photo Name: Fancy Schmancy Anxiety Maven
Location: Chutz l'aretz - Outside of Brooklyn

fancymaven at gmail dot com