Monday, May 21, 2007
Think Globally...

So this morning, in the shower, I was thinking about Stalin (everybody thinks about autocrats while showering, right?).

So I thought about how he mercilessly ruined and ended so many lives. How could he do that?

And then another thought formed. Stalin spent a lot of time giving orders. He wasn't out there killing people. He wasn't yanking people out of their homes, away from their screaming wives and children. He wasn't putting people on the trains to Siberia. He had other people do it for him.

And giving the orders is a lot different than doing the dirty work. It's easy to sit at a desk and sign off on somebody's life. Just like it's easier to drop a bomb from an airplane than to shoot up an entire village of men, women, and children.

There's a psychological block that happens when you aren't there yourself. And that's why this terrible world is going on all around me and I could care less. Darfur? Who cares! I need to cook for shavuos! I am, however, cooking for four other Jewish families.

I cannot hear the cries of the suffering millions when I'm ensconced in my own little life. But I can make lasagne.


4 Comments:

  • At 3:21 PM, Blogger Mrs Andy said…

    But you have to act locally. I don't think there is much anyone can do about Darfur other than write letters to the appropriate people and pray they will listen. However, I know the service we give to those around us is very important and needed and gets passed along--and that makes a difference.

    You'll have to post your lasagne recipe, I'm always on the look out for good recipes, and you've got good ones. :)

     
  • At 6:24 PM, Blogger Maven said…

    eden - yes, act locally! if i can't do anything for a genocide halfway around the world, at least I can cook for (and love) people here.

    as for the lasagne, easy-shmeasy. i only do easy! you'll need a 9x13 pan. pour a nice layer of sauce on the bottom and then add three uncooked lasagne noodles. put a thick layer of cottage cheese on top of that, and a sprinkling of salt on top of the cottage cheese. then i used a mixture of shredded muenster and mozarella in a layer on top of the cottage cheese. you can use any shredded cheese(s) you want. on top of the shredded cheese layer you add 3 more uncooked noodles, a thick layer of sauce, cottage cheese, salt...you get the idea. the top of the lasagne is an uncooked noodle layer covered in lots of sauce. you need to have adequate sauce because the noodles are cooking along with the lasagne! bake at 350 for 2 hours.

     
  • At 6:47 AM, Blogger Maven said…

    p.s. i forgot to mention: bake it covered!

     
  • At 9:17 AM, Blogger Mrs Andy said…

    Thanks, filed under "Maven's Recipes" in the cookbook. And easy is the only way to go!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home


My Photo Name: Fancy Schmancy Anxiety Maven
Location: Chutz l'aretz - Outside of Brooklyn

fancymaven at gmail dot com