Saturday, September 10, 2005
Dr. Feelgood?

Every shabbos afternoon, Yaakov generously encourages me to nap. I always reply that he could use one too, and offer to let him take one (secretly hoping he'll turn me down, which he always does). Anyway, this shabbos was no different, and I happily left Yaakov and children behind as I snuggled into bed. I proceeded to have a very odd dream:

Yaakov and I were driving along with the kids, when we saw 3 shuls in a row - all connected in one structure. At the third shul, Yaakov said "There's a bas mitzvah going on in there, let's go." So we went inside. Then Yaakov said, "Upstairs there's a psychiatrist, why don't you go visit him?" So I went. I opened the door to his office. There was a short little man behind the desk, who looked very familiar to me. I couldn't place who he reminded me of, though. So I just sat there, looking at him, and he sat there, looking at me. I thought to myself, "This is very weird, why isn't he saying something?" Finally he said, "I like to be silent, because then my patients do the talking." Okay, I thought. Then I realized who he looked like: David Copperfield. (A psychiatrist who looks like a magician: irony?) Eventually, I mustered up the courage to say something. I said, "Sometimes I'm afraid something terrible is going to happen to my children (G-d forbid)." Copperfield gave me a strange look, as if that was something very unusual. I thought to myself, "That can't be right, a mother having this fear is probably very common." So I fell back into silence. Then, all these people started walking in and out of his office, chatting with him casually. I thought, "I'm supposed to be in the middle of a session here, what's wrong with this picture?" Finally, I just left his office in frustration.

One time in Brooklyn, while visiting a friend, she turned to me and said; "You know, I have this fear that someone is going to just walk into my apartment and take my son away, chas v'shalom. Isn't that weird?" "No," I shrugged. "That doesn't sound weird to me at all."


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


My Photo Name: Fancy Schmancy Anxiety Maven
Location: Chutz l'aretz - Outside of Brooklyn

fancymaven at gmail dot com