Thursday, February 23, 2006
Chesed.

Today I saw some chassidisher ladies at a local bus stop, and I offered them a ride. It happens to be that they were Satmar. There's some tension between our two chassidic groups, a long-standing problem I am not interested in blogging about.

One thing I have picked up from various Satmars I have met is that they don't necessarily consider Lubavitchers to be "for real." I don't know how to explain that, but I often get the vibe that they think of us as "less than." This annoys me to no end. To be fair, I will say that this might be just my impression, I could be totally wrong.

I have heard more than once that they think the Lubavitcher Rebbe is totally crazy. My Satmar landlady once dismissed my Rebbe like that. I didn't know what to say. She's my landlady. In hindsight, I'm a little ashamed that I didn't speak up. What kind of chossid doesn't defend his (her) Rebbe?

I know my Rebbe is revolutionary, and I'm proud at how he insisted on "ker a velt heint" - turning the world over. He wanted to rock the world with the idea of Moshiach, and he did.

So when I picked up those ladies today, I made sure to sneak into the conversation that I'm a Lubav. That's right ladies, do you see how modestly dressed I am? Do you see my aidel 4 year old daughter in tights? Do you see how well my wig covers my head? I'M A LUBAVITCHER. And I'm giving you a ride. Why? Because I love you! All chassidim are one family.

So there.


5 Comments:

  • At 7:43 AM, Blogger n/a said…

    Do you let your kids watch Sponge Bob? (Do you sit around watching Sponge Bob even when your kids aren't in the room because it's just funny?) There's an episode where the villain is trying to get Sponge Bob to do evil by training him to be more assertive. When Sponge Bob realizes he's been duped, he decides to go on a campaign of super-assertive niceness. I like that (one of the many things I like about that eternally optimistic sponge). Kindness and friendliness are acts of strength. Good on you.

     
  • At 8:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    There was a Neo Nazi March in Downtown Orlando Florida on Saturday. They were marching with their swaztika banners, and their swaztika armbands. Does it matter which sect we belong to?
    There are Nazi's in America.
    Also,
    How does that picture fit into your frum blog? I am a Jewish woman, but not frum, and I can't even understand the metaphor.

     
  • At 9:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    what picture?

     
  • At 7:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Amen Achotie:)

     
  • At 8:24 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Michigan fans Nike Air Max 90 in Ann Arbor are in for a treat at the expense Nike Air Max 2015 Shoes of a fancy restaurant chain. Yesterday, fine-dining steak chain Ruth’s Chris nfl jerseys store posted a promotion on Facebook stating that for the NFL Jerseys rest of the season, fans in Ann Arbor will get a percentage discount off their bill equal Nike Roshe Run to the Michigan margin of cheap nfl jerseys victory (up wholesale nfl jerseys to 50 percent) of the prior game. It’s an innocent promotion to drive some traffic to a dining establishment that prices out a fair amount of Nike Free Run people.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home


My Photo Name: Fancy Schmancy Anxiety Maven
Location: Chutz l'aretz - Outside of Brooklyn

fancymaven at gmail dot com