Thursday, February 23, 2006
Chesed.

Today I saw some chassidisher ladies at a local bus stop, and I offered them a ride. It happens to be that they were Satmar. There's some tension between our two chassidic groups, a long-standing problem I am not interested in blogging about.

One thing I have picked up from various Satmars I have met is that they don't necessarily consider Lubavitchers to be "for real." I don't know how to explain that, but I often get the vibe that they think of us as "less than." This annoys me to no end. To be fair, I will say that this might be just my impression, I could be totally wrong.

I have heard more than once that they think the Lubavitcher Rebbe is totally crazy. My Satmar landlady once dismissed my Rebbe like that. I didn't know what to say. She's my landlady. In hindsight, I'm a little ashamed that I didn't speak up. What kind of chossid doesn't defend his (her) Rebbe?

I know my Rebbe is revolutionary, and I'm proud at how he insisted on "ker a velt heint" - turning the world over. He wanted to rock the world with the idea of Moshiach, and he did.

So when I picked up those ladies today, I made sure to sneak into the conversation that I'm a Lubav. That's right ladies, do you see how modestly dressed I am? Do you see my aidel 4 year old daughter in tights? Do you see how well my wig covers my head? I'M A LUBAVITCHER. And I'm giving you a ride. Why? Because I love you! All chassidim are one family.

So there.


9 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


My Photo Name: Fancy Schmancy Anxiety Maven
Location: Chutz l'aretz - Outside of Brooklyn

fancymaven at gmail dot com