Wednesday, March 22, 2006
If it sounds to good to be true...

It probably is.

The handyman came 2 hours late. Then, after being here about an hour and a half, he said he had to go. "I'll be back in five minutes." He came back in an hour. With his 6 year old son.

I didn't mind at first, but as the day wore on the kid got unruly. The task to minding all the children fell to me. Plus, I had to feed the kid. I mean, the guy brings his kid with no food, no snack, nothing! I was sweet and polite, but I started feeling very resentful. Oh, and the kid was wearing a shirt with Jesus on it. That was just splendid.

I wish I was brave enough to say, "I appreciate you coming to work here, but I can't watch your kid." I know several of my friends who would have said just that. But I let myself be a door mat sometimes. I don't know why I couldn't say - nicely but firmly - that this was beyond my limitations. I find being assertive very difficult.

The day schlepped on and on, he was working so hard stripping the wall. All I could think was, "there's no way we can give this guy 20 bucks for all this work." The way it originally sounded was like it would be an hour or two, but he was here for probably six.

Yaakov and I went back and forth on how much we should pay him. "He should pay ME for babysitting!" In the end, we gave him 60. Yaakov told him, "you have kids to feed, you can't work for peanuts." He was surprised to get that much. Yaakov told me later, "It's a kiddush Hashem. I hope he thinks that Jews are nice."

He'd just better! I fed his Jesus t-shirt kid the last of my bishul yisroel tuna!


2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


My Photo Name: Fancy Schmancy Anxiety Maven
Location: Chutz l'aretz - Outside of Brooklyn

fancymaven at gmail dot com