Sunday, September 24, 2006
The Rosh Hashana Revue:

All Rosh Hashana I kept thinking, I'm not into this. I'm not spiritually attuned to this holiday. Rosh Hashana is about crowning G-d as king, judgment for the entire year to come. You would think I would be trembling in fear, right? That's what Rosh Hashana is about - being in awe of Hashem.

Nope. I was tired. I couldn't wait to go to sleep Friday night. I did not da'aven. I did not learn. Shabbos day more of the same. Had a whole bunch of guests for lunch. Didn't go to shul. Didn't da'aven. Didn't learn. But I served a nice lunch for a nice family. I got to take a short nap.

Today I was assigned kid-patrol outside of shul for an hour. Didn't da'aven. Didn't learn. I looked at sheitels. I looked at other women's yom tov outfits. Yep. Very spiritual.

Tashlich came, and the kids were running their hands all up and down a metal bar near the canal. Then I found out it had bird poop on it. Thank G-d for antibacterial wipes, and thank G-d (!!!) I had some with me. That was fun.

Even though I wasn't "with it" this Rosh Hashana,
I asked G-d to cut me some slack. I've done a lot of chesed lately.

p.s. I got to try a fruit I've never tried before. I liked it.


3 Comments:

  • At 10:07 PM, Blogger torontopearl said…

    Gut voche, a gut yor.

    What should I say? "Okay...so there's always next year!" :P

     
  • At 11:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Maven -
    I felt the same way this Yunteff. Very confused. And scared. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that 1 Tishrei was on Shabbat, therefore only the Divine Shofar blew.
    Even though we are in completely different life circumstances we're both Jews by birth, and I have to admit that reading your post today eased my own confusion. Because you felt it also.
    Thanks Maven.
    L'Shana Tova

     
  • At 12:12 AM, Blogger Mrs. Joseph aka SackJo22 said…

    I came upon your blog through my sojourn through the "random blog" button, and I made a note of it. I am a modern orthodox woman who appreciates what you have to say, and how you say it. At the service this shabbat, the rabbi opened his speech talking about his lack of preparedness for the holiday -- practically, and spiritually. He then transgressed into many different topics, each of which seemed, on their own, to be relatively unrelated. He told the parable of the malnurished child who is so hungry he cannot recognize his own father. He spoke of the tzadekim who all fall seven times, and each time they pull themselves up they become stronger and closer to Hashem. He spoke about the importance of teshuva and prayer. Somehow, all these disparate topics coalesced into a comforting message that we are blessed with opportunity to begin again with the new year. L'shana tova.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home


My Photo Name: Fancy Schmancy Anxiety Maven
Location: Chutz l'aretz - Outside of Brooklyn

fancymaven at gmail dot com