Monday, October 16, 2006
Fun.

So today I'm at the playground talking to a lady with one kid. She looked at my gang and said, "Are you planning on having more?" I said I was. She said, "You must really enjoy motherhood to have such a big family."

The statement startled me. I never thought about whether I enjoyed it or not. It's a job to me, an obligation. I love my children, and work hard (generally) on my parenting. But enjoy it? And then I thought, "Well why don't I?"

I realized because I'm not spending enough time with them. I mean, sure, I'm a housewife. I'm home with children (some or all of them) all day. But what am I doing with that time? I'm cleaning the house, or doing laundry, or even taking care of them. But I'm not hanging out with them, having fun. I want to change that.

Tonight we played when Yaakov went to shul. We played "telephone." We played "Simon Says." They rolled on the floor pretending to be bugs. I laughed. The dishes didn't get washed, but that's okay. We had fun.


8 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


My Photo Name: Fancy Schmancy Anxiety Maven
Location: Chutz l'aretz - Outside of Brooklyn

fancymaven at gmail dot com