Friday, January 26, 2007
Sorting it Out.

When I was in the 4th grade, I didn't want anyone to know my parents were divorced. My mom and dad split when I was a baby, and Mom re-married when I was 6. Even though I didn't like my stepfather, I wanted everyone to think he was my real dad.

I had vague knowledge of my real father's mental illness. As I grew older, I just wanted him out of my life. I started using my stepfather's last name in school, a legal fiction to further serve my goal. When I was 11, I was officially adopted. I remember the tension in the room as my real father signed the papers. All the child-support he owed - thousands of dollars - disappeared with his signature.

As my teen years ensued, I wanted him out of my life more intensely.
Dad would call, and I'd have my mother tell him I was out. I dreaded speaking to him. I cut his side of the family out, and my grandmother fell victim to this schism. She loved me so much, and took care of me as a child. My wonderful aunt and uncle, my fabulous cousins. I removed them so I could feel whole.

When I was 16, I started letting my father back in. As I matured, I could start forgiving. This is a work in progress. Now that I am a parent, I can heal and forgive a little more. And the same goes for my stepfather, whom I loathed. I grieve for my grandmother - I was starting my tikkun with her when she died.

She'll never know my sorrow.


3 Comments:

  • At 2:51 PM, Blogger Wendy said…

    Such an honest post. And I believe that your grandmother knew more than you think.

     
  • At 7:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    My story is similar, my father gave away his custody of us in order to avoid child support...but still denies this to this very day. I am proud of you that you have let him back in, and can recognize his illness...I am not yet at that point.

     
  • At 10:54 AM, Blogger Maven said…

    wendy: thank you

    anon: i just want to clarify, he did not do it to nullify his child support. that just happened to be a convenient "perk" to the adoption. he let me go because i told him that was what i wanted. he was devastated when he signed the papers. i give you a blessing that you reach a point of healing with your own father.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home


My Photo Name: Fancy Schmancy Anxiety Maven
Location: Chutz l'aretz - Outside of Brooklyn

fancymaven at gmail dot com