Wednesday, March 28, 2007
Yechi Charlie!

I called a friend tonight at her engagement party.

Friend: Guess who's here?
Me: Who?
Friend: Charlie Buttons!
Me: Charlie? That's awesome!
Friend: You wanna talk to him?
Me: Yeah!

So Charlie gets on the phone and I talked to him for about 5 minutes. He told me all about his physical therapy, sang a few of his trademark songs, did his schtick. It was such an honor to talk to him!

Charlie is a Crown Heights character - a fixture at simchas. He comes with balloons and makes balloon thingies for everybody. He always wears his trademark denim overalls, covered in buttons.

I personally sought him out and hand-delivered my wedding invitation to him, not that he needed it. Charlie finds his way to every simcha - brissim, l'chaims, shalom zochors. You name it, Charlie's at it.

Many think he's a lamed-vovnik. You never know...


2 Comments:

  • At 2:08 AM, Blogger F said…

    Hi there,
    I just wanted to say, reading your blog (sometimes I read the really old archives, makes me feel much calmer about who I am. You are so honest about insecurites, etc... I tend to feel insecure, but usually people don't notice it, because I act sure of myself--and I am going through a hard time. And I just wanted to say, thanks!
    This is our first time celebrating Passover, and I am nervous.
    In any case, Happy Pesach to you and yours!

     
  • At 10:08 AM, Blogger Maven said…

    happy pesach to you! good luck!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home


My Photo Name: Fancy Schmancy Anxiety Maven
Location: Chutz l'aretz - Outside of Brooklyn

fancymaven at gmail dot com