Thursday, September 20, 2007
Boundaries, Round 2:

Let me clarify some things:

There's a pervasive idea in our society that everything is okay. You like it? Do it! It feels good? Do it! Not hurting anybody? Do it!

I vehemently disagree.

I think we're experiencing moral decay in modern times, and a majority of it stems from this laissez-faire attitude. There's also a blurring of what's right and wrong. Intermarriage is a product of all this.

There's an idea in yiddishkeit that if you keep commiting a sin, there's a point where you start rationalizing it as a mitzvah. That's my view on what intermarriage has become. There are books about it, websites about it, support groups for it. I think the current intermarriage figure in the U.S. is around 50% (correct me if I'm wrong here). Intermarriage has become a mitzvah!

I'm not thinking of the holocaust, as one anonymous commenter mentioned. That never entered my mind. What I am thinking of is what it means to have a soulmate. I'm thinking about Jewish children. I'm thinking about doing the right thing. I don't think intermarriage truly benefits anybody.

I have so many ideas about this, so many feelings. I don't even think I can clarify them all. A blog is a monologue - it takes dialogue to work out the heavy stuff.


2 Comments:

  • At 9:45 PM, Blogger Stephanie said…

    maybe you just can't relate because you haven't walked in those shoes...Open your mind Maven...nothing is black and white. Love is LOVE...seems you have problems living next to ppl that aren't jewish as well. Its a pity if you ask me. (not that you asked me..lol)

     
  • At 12:11 AM, Blogger Maven said…

    i understand your perspective, because of the choices you've made in your life.

    i still think you're missing my point - maybe i'm missing yours?

    for the record, i don't have a problem living next to non-Jews. and you don't know what shoes i've walked in, either.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home


My Photo Name: Fancy Schmancy Anxiety Maven
Location: Chutz l'aretz - Outside of Brooklyn

fancymaven at gmail dot com