Thursday, September 20, 2007
Boundaries, Round 2:

Let me clarify some things:

There's a pervasive idea in our society that everything is okay. You like it? Do it! It feels good? Do it! Not hurting anybody? Do it!

I vehemently disagree.

I think we're experiencing moral decay in modern times, and a majority of it stems from this laissez-faire attitude. There's also a blurring of what's right and wrong. Intermarriage is a product of all this.

There's an idea in yiddishkeit that if you keep commiting a sin, there's a point where you start rationalizing it as a mitzvah. That's my view on what intermarriage has become. There are books about it, websites about it, support groups for it. I think the current intermarriage figure in the U.S. is around 50% (correct me if I'm wrong here). Intermarriage has become a mitzvah!

I'm not thinking of the holocaust, as one anonymous commenter mentioned. That never entered my mind. What I am thinking of is what it means to have a soulmate. I'm thinking about Jewish children. I'm thinking about doing the right thing. I don't think intermarriage truly benefits anybody.

I have so many ideas about this, so many feelings. I don't even think I can clarify them all. A blog is a monologue - it takes dialogue to work out the heavy stuff.


6 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


My Photo Name: Fancy Schmancy Anxiety Maven
Location: Chutz l'aretz - Outside of Brooklyn

fancymaven at gmail dot com