Wednesday, September 05, 2007
When life gives you lemons...

My dad is still gripped by mania. He called and left a message on my voicemail, yelling "Hallelujah! Can't wait to see my dear daughter!" He said "Hallelujah" like, 4 times. He also turned up his oldies music for me. Again.

I made arrangements with a close friend to eat with her on shabbos. She knows my father, so I won't feel embarrassed if he pulls any schtick. I have also decided to curtail my shabbos visiting time with him. After lunch I'll just tell him I'm tired. I know this is deceptive, but I can't say, "Dad, I don't want to be with you now." (Besides, he'll have me all day Sunday, in Jersey.)

What's the moral of this story? An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. If I had only been assertive in the first place, and told him it wasn't a good idea to come, I could've saved myself all this nonsense.

In the meantime, I'll enjoy the lemonade.

p.s. Today is my "english" birthday. I'm 32. Yay, me.


6 Comments:

  • At 8:56 AM, Blogger Mrs Andy said…

    Happy birthday! Here is a question, do you normally celebrate birthdays, or do you have a birthday according to the Jewish calendar?

     
  • At 9:02 AM, Blogger Ezer K'negdo said…

    happy birthday!

     
  • At 10:57 AM, Blogger Maven said…

    i celebrate my hebrew birthday, which is aleph tishrei (rosh hashana).

     
  • At 12:41 PM, Blogger Scraps said…

    Happy birthday! Many happy returns of the day, ad meah v'esrim.

    Good luck with your father.

     
  • At 3:22 PM, Blogger Mrs Andy said…

    Wow, what a signifigant day for a birthday. Anyway, hope your day is great and that 32 is all it's cracked up to be. :)

     
  • At 7:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Mazel tov! Od meah v'esrim! Mine is the 17th of nissan (during Pesach)...so you get a new beginning and I get to have flourless cake. Huh. :) Have a fabulous birthday (today and next week!)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home


My Photo Name: Fancy Schmancy Anxiety Maven
Location: Chutz l'aretz - Outside of Brooklyn

fancymaven at gmail dot com