Saturday, October 13, 2007
Hebrew School Blues.

I wish I could quit teaching Sunday school. It's too much. It's not just the 4 1/2 hour block on Sunday mornings (a definite strain on The Maven Family). There's all the prep time during the week! I have to get materials, and every Saturday night I'm preparing for Sunday. So instead of cleaning my messy-motsei-shabbos house, I'm busy doing Hebrew school stuff.

I'm not quitting, though. When I start something, I see it through. Plus, my students are not religious. Their parents could send them to any Sunday school they wanted. For many of them, it's their first experience with Chabad. How would it look to the parents if their kids' Hebrew school teacher just quit on them? It would not leave a favorable impression. So I feel like I need to stay with it, for Chabad. I want the parents to associate Chabad with good things, not flakey teachers. This isn't about me anymore: I'm not gonna let my Rebbe down.

Besides, the parents like me. The children like me. The Hebrew school director likes me. I'm doing a good job! And I like my kids and their parents, too. It's not the teaching that I dislike, it's all the extra work. This is really a job for a single girl, who doesn't have a family to take care of. Honestly, I don't know how Chabad shluchim do it. Their outreach jobs become their lives, and they're raising large families on top of that. I see how hard the shlucha works in MY Hebrew school. So there's a small part of me that wonders, what am I complaining about? Besides, I really feel this job is bringing blessings into my life.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to start getting ready for tomorrow. (Sigh.)


1 Comments:

  • At 9:44 PM, Blogger Dinosaur Mom said…

    I'm proud of you for sticking with it. When there are so many things needing your time and attention it's really hard to give more of yourself to people outside your immediate circle of family and friends. Go Maven, go Maven ... (insert dancing dino graphic here).

     

Post a Comment

<< Home


My Photo Name: Fancy Schmancy Anxiety Maven
Location: Chutz l'aretz - Outside of Brooklyn

fancymaven at gmail dot com