Monday, October 01, 2007
Lo Leiv.

Sukkos has been lovely, despite the rain. I've enjoyed being in our sukkah immensely. It seems the mitzvah of sukkah has meant more to me this year than in years past.

When I first shook lulav and esrog, tears came to my eyes. I startled myself. "A whole year since I've done this mitzvah?" I whispered. Today, I held the esrog close to my heart. The esrog is symbolic of the Jewish heart, fragrant and sweet with mitzvos. I felt the esrog next to my own sullied heart, and asked G-d to cleanse it.

Halevai, to achieve the simple purity of an esrog.


3 Comments:

  • At 9:54 AM, Blogger Stephanie said…

    mmm...sometimes your words really touch my heart!!

     
  • At 11:32 AM, Blogger Dinosaur Mom said…

    Does it detract from the mitzvah to hope that the simple purity of lulav and esrog come down in price some time before Moshiach shows up? My friends up here were trying to figure out how to come up with a halacha-appropriate "Rent A Lulav" enterprise.

     
  • At 9:55 AM, Blogger Maven said…

    hey, that's not a bad idea. rent-a-lulav! what if several people all chipped in to the price of a lulav and esrog and "owned" them as a group?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home


My Photo Name: Fancy Schmancy Anxiety Maven
Location: Chutz l'aretz - Outside of Brooklyn

fancymaven at gmail dot com