Thursday, September 29, 2005
Random Acts of Kindness

What a day!

I had a whole plan for the morning. First, a trip to Kinkos. Then, a trip to BJ's. Upon arriving at Kinkos, however, I realized I left the BJ's card at home. I resigned myself to going to Costco instead. On my way to Costco, the heavens opened up. It was raining so hard, I decided to just go home.

On my way home, I saw this poor lady walking in the rain. I rolled down my window to offer her a ride, which she gladly accepted. I thought to myself "Now I know why I missed my other errands, G-d wanted me to help this lady." Then I thought of something I heard in the name of Reb Shlomo Carlebach. "What do we know?" he said. We might think we understand the Divine Providence of a situation, but we really have no clue.

Tonight, I was going over our finances. Uh oh, I realized, we have much less money than I thought we did (not an uncommon occurence in the Maven household). I started mentally reviewing all the things I still need to get for yom tov. It's gonna be tight.

Knock, knock - two fine Israeli Chassidim, looking for tzedoka. It was wonderful, they brought a whole photo album of their mossad. It was an honor and a treat to have them in our home. We wrote them a check. Aha! I thought to myself. Now I know why they came! G-d was giving me the opportunity to do chessed! Right when I was doing the checkbook! Right when I was worrying about how we were going to manage, G-d gave me the chance to open my heart (and wallet) to someone else! Coincidence?

What do I know?


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


My Photo Name: Fancy Schmancy Anxiety Maven
Location: Chutz l'aretz - Outside of Brooklyn

fancymaven at gmail dot com