Monday, September 26, 2005
The Holy Beggars

One thing about the Avenue is all the tzedoka personalities. There's this one lady there - definitely some mental issues going on. Anyway, I was walking by her and I gave her all my silver change. It was probably about a dollar. Well, she got so mad at me, she started screaming. Right there, on the Avenue. "I'm trying to make Rosh Hashana and this is what you give me? GIVE IT TO YOUR MOTHER!" And she threw it back at me. It was startling and embarrassing. Part of me felt indignant. Another part felt ashamed.

What was G-d trying to tell me?




3 Comments:

  • At 7:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I wouldn't have given another thought- that lady...? look who Knows...? perhapss she's a hidden tzadakes? Whatever she is that was such yuckky midos!!!Yuck! I geuss it is H" showing an image of what we sometimes do with "handouts" that we are sometimes given- when we devalue gifts He's given us?

     
  • At 7:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Don't worry...something similar happened to a friend of mine the week before Purim. We were in Jerusalem and he bought a really nice dinner to give to a homeless man that is always outside this one cafe. He handed it to the man, and the man said, "What is this? Don't you know I have no teeth?!" IT is the thought that counts!

     
  • At 12:00 AM, Blogger shy_smiley said…

    I wonder how many people walk by her without giving anything...

    I suppose G-d's trying to tell her something, too.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home


My Photo Name: Fancy Schmancy Anxiety Maven
Location: Chutz l'aretz - Outside of Brooklyn

fancymaven at gmail dot com