Saturday, October 08, 2005
My Daughter, Myself.

This morning Chaya was da'avening out of a siddur she made in school. I sat with her, beaming with pride and wonderment.

Chaya is me. Even though she is 5 and I am 30, this child is me. When I was her age, I had the same curiosity, intelligence, and zest. So there's a part of me that's scared. What if this child - so much like me - pulls the same tricks I did? What if she grows up and makes the mistakes I made? G-d forbid!

I try to rationalize. I mean, as much as we're alike, my life was infinitely different at that age. I didn't even know what a siddur was when I was 5. My parents divorced when I was a baby, and I was raised by a single mother. I went to pre-school in a church, and at 6 had a new stepfather in my life.

Chaya has 2 parents who are committed. She goes to a religious school. She is growing up with shabbosim and yomim tovim, kosher food, shema and kisses at bedtime. Chaya is frum from birth!

Still, I worry.


2 Comments:

  • At 8:16 PM, Blogger VirtualAlex said…

    What is that stupid G-d crap? You think just becouse you use a dash instead of an o, it changes the meaning of something? If your afraid of using his name in vain than don't. The dash isn't fooling God himself thats for sure. If you want to say it, then please use proper English.

    Yes I am actually on a crusade to stop the spelling of God, G-d.

     
  • At 9:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hey, if you've got nothing nice to say...

    you know the rest...

    don't you have anything better to do with your Saturday nights besides bashing G-dly people?

    sheesh!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home


My Photo Name: Fancy Schmancy Anxiety Maven
Location: Chutz l'aretz - Outside of Brooklyn

fancymaven at gmail dot com