Tuesday, December 27, 2005
The Year in Pictures:

At the end of the year, MSNBC.com posts their annual slide show:

A screaming daughter sitting next to her dead Iraqi father, shot by unknown gunmen.

A U.S. soldier cradling a bloody child, fatally wounded by a car bomb. I am sobbing anew just writing about it.

A child screaming after her parents were killed by U.S. soldiers, for failing to stop at a military checkpoint. All 5 children survived.

A small child, body ravaged by famine, in a Nigerian clinic.

A nine year old Pakistani screaming in pain, as his amputated arm is treated.

A pair of small, dusty hands, peeking out of the rubble. Another victim of Pakistan's earthquake.

As a Jew, I believe that G-d runs every minute detail of this world. I don't believe in random coincidences. So time and again I can't help but cry, "Why, G-d? Why do You do what You do?"

I can't get those images out of my mind.



2 Comments:

  • At 11:12 AM, Blogger S.I.L. said…

    Horrible, horrible... I can't even brign myself to look.

    Maven, remember that there are also zillions of beautiful wonderful things that happen all the time that don't become pictures of the year.

     
  • At 10:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    We are not supposed to get the images out of our mind. We are supposed to grieve and care and plead with Hashem as Abraham did for Sodom. Because it is our role as Jews to do the rectification.
    When I was a child, 6 years old or thereabouts, my mother would show me pictures of the mass graves of the Holocaust and say "Never Forget. Never let it happen again."
    I cry too.
    B'Shalom
    I follow your blog.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home


My Photo Name: Fancy Schmancy Anxiety Maven
Location: Chutz l'aretz - Outside of Brooklyn

fancymaven at gmail dot com