Tuesday, December 20, 2005
No Rest for the Weary.

I cannot tell you how much I loathe bath and bed time. This time of night causes me SO MUCH anxiety and aggravation.

Srulik goes from one end of the bathtub to the other, he won't let me wash him. I make a grab for the important parts and just let the soapy water clean the rest of him. I can't do much else.

Usually I bathe my kids together, but I tried a new system tonight: assembly-line style. One in, one out. Then Yaakov dressed them. I figured if I split them up, the mischief quotient would be lessened. They still pulled their tricks though - running around the house naked, resisting all attempts at co-operation.

There's a book out there written about making everything fun. If you make things fun, your kids will want to listen! Well, I'm not interested in fun. I've tried fun. At 7:30 at night I just want them all out of my face.

They have already popped out of bed several times, this one wanting this and that one needing that. I just yell them back to bed, oh-benevolent-mother-that-I-am.

They're still chirping away. Rivky is saying aleph-beis and Srulik is yelling for me. Chaya just came out to tell me the others are making too much noise - she can't sleep.

Canada-friend called me in the thick of all this. I told her what I was in the middle of, and how totally stressed out I was. "That's what I'm doing, and I'm totally stressed out too." I guess that made me feel better.

But not much.


3 Comments:

  • At 8:35 AM, Blogger shy_smiley said…

    Try nap time at your local preschool: three adults who haven't had a break for five hours trying to get seventeen kids to sleep after they come in from the playground. Each one of them has to go pee, get a drink, wash hands, get a book, empty the sand from their shoes, go pee again. At least we don't have to give them a bath!

    Bedtime is always stressful. Kids don't want to sleep! What if something exciting happens when they're sleeping? Jack's bedtime routine is an hour long (I won't go into details). Just remember that you're not alone, and this, too, shall pass.

     
  • At 12:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i can understand! my son never wants to go to bed... even when i am really really ready for him to.

     
  • At 9:51 AM, Blogger menna said…

Post a Comment

<< Home


My Photo Name: Fancy Schmancy Anxiety Maven
Location: Chutz l'aretz - Outside of Brooklyn

fancymaven at gmail dot com