Monday, December 19, 2005
Rosh Hashana l'Chassidus:

Today the Alter Rebbe was freed from prison, on the grounds of spreading Torah.

There is a story that the Ba'al Shem Tov "visited" him in jail. "Why am I really here?" asked The Alter Rebbe. "There's a big argument," said the Ba'al Shem Tov, "The chassidus you are spreading is very holy, there are some in the heavenly realms that oppose it." "So how do I know if I've "won" the argument?" asked the Alter Rebbe. "You'll be released," replied the Ba'al Shem Tov.

And Baruch Hashem for all of us, he was.

Every year, on Yud-Tes Kislev, I make a resolution to learn the daily portion of Tanya. Every year I've failed - miserably. But the good news is, I'm making the resolution again. This year, b'ezras Hashem, I WILL learn Tanya every day. Now you all can hold me to it.

Another resolution I am making is that I am going to try and incorporate more "beinoni"** behavior into my life. I may never become a beinoni (even though the Alter Rebbe says I can), but I CAN work more on restraining the maven-beast within.

Gut Yom Tov!!

** "intermediate person," not wholly righteous nor wicked. The person who has improper thoughts (but never entertains them) and improper impulses (but never acts on them).


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


My Photo Name: Fancy Schmancy Anxiety Maven
Location: Chutz l'aretz - Outside of Brooklyn

fancymaven at gmail dot com