Tuesday, December 19, 2006
Body Issues:

Chaya, at the tender age of 6, is talking about her weight. The other day she wasn't interested in eating, because "she didn't want to get fat." This - of course - made me terribly anxious. I told her we weren't leaving until she ate lunch. Then she changed her tune. "I'm not eating because I'm not hungry," she insisted. She finally had a pita with cheese.

I'm not sure where she's getting this from. I'm on Weight Watchers, but I tell her that mommy is losing the baby weight. I don't feel like I'm sending her unhealthy messages about weight or body image. But maybe I am? Weight Watchers requires constant involvement. Counting points, reading nutritional information, measuring portions. For me, it's a fun way to stay healthy. Maybe she sees it differently?

Her teacher is overweight. Really overweight. She's commented on that to me before. "Morah Sheina is fat." Her pre 1-A teacher was also really big. Maybe this has something to do with it, too.

Yesterday, at a shul event, I was talking to a good buddy of mine. We were commiserating how we've been eating non-stop. We were both disgusted with ourselves. Chaya heard us.

Or maybe she's hearing it from her friends? Yesterday she told me that on christmas a man comes and brings presents to people's houses. I mean, where did THAT come from? Kids somehow pick up on everything. Maybe she's getting it from society at large?

I'm planning on talking to my pediatrician about it, but I'd love some advice from parents out there. Have any of you dealt with this?


11 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


My Photo Name: Fancy Schmancy Anxiety Maven
Location: Chutz l'aretz - Outside of Brooklyn

fancymaven at gmail dot com