Wednesday, March 07, 2007
Thank you.

A friend told me once, "You don't have to be your mother-in-law's friend. Your place is simply to respect her." Well, my mother-in-law went back to Vegas this morning. She gave me a lot to think about.

I think I'm mature (and Jewish) enough to see that what bothers me about her are the things I dislike about myself. And I think that what I love about her are things that are special about me, too. It's weird how similar we are. (Yaakov, Sigmund is on the phone for you...)


I haven't had the chance to write so much lately, as mom-in-law has been in the computer room. Many things happened. But I will say this: She bought our shmura matzo. She bought us 13 pounds of matzo at 17 dollars a pound. She was with me when I placed my order. She kept offering to buy us stuff at the Judaica store, but I kept turning her down. She gave Yaakov the money later. Two hundred and twenty holy Jewish dollars.

I cannot say how touched I am. She was beyond generous on this trip, but the matzo...?

Such a mitzvah.


5 Comments:

  • At 1:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wow. That is a lot of matzah! And that is a great mitzvah...not only that she bought the matzah, but that you were both able to see that you have a common thread...Y!

     
  • At 2:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    wow! good for you!!

     
  • At 12:13 PM, Blogger Wendy said…

    Very generous indeed. Interesting that you see the similarities between you and your m-i-l. I am nothing like mine.

     
  • At 9:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    oy vey!! Ha-shem in Shamaim! I hope I'm nothing like mine!!!!

     
  • At 9:21 PM, Blogger Dinosaur Mom said…

    I look related to mine, weirdly enough.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home


My Photo Name: Fancy Schmancy Anxiety Maven
Location: Chutz l'aretz - Outside of Brooklyn

fancymaven at gmail dot com