Tuesday, July 03, 2007
Bein Hametzarim

Today was the 17th of Tammuz, which begins 3 weeks of mourning on the Jewish calendar. It is the day the Romans breached the walls of Jerusalem.

I was particularly angry and frustrated today, and I realized that too often I operate from this place. I get anxious, which manifests as anger. For example - all my kids ran away from me in the grocery store. I got anxious. I yelled, "If I can't see you, I can't keep you safe! You know better than that!" I mean, that's normal, but I get anxious about so many things. If my house isn't in order, I feel unsettled. Then I send out a lot of negative energy. Man, am I uptight!

I was thinking about my anger. My foreign anger - Roman anger - not consonant with my Jewish soul. I took some deep breaths, and I talked to it. "You breached my walls," I told Anger. "But you cannot breach the beis hamikdash in my heart."


1 Comments:

  • At 10:19 PM, Blogger lxr23g56 said…

    Thanks for posting this because just this afternoon Tamra was mentioning that she thought today was a fast day but didn't know why. Now I am gonna go and go tell her about the Romans so i can look all smart kid in a kippah!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home


My Photo Name: Fancy Schmancy Anxiety Maven
Location: Chutz l'aretz - Outside of Brooklyn

fancymaven at gmail dot com