Tuesday, August 07, 2007
Spies. K-Mart. Cellphone.

I called a friend today and her husband answered: "We were watching you last night." A wave of paranoia swept through me, as I tried to figure out what I got caught doing. Smoking? Researching Carl Sagan online? "You were in our wedding video." Oh. not as exciting as smoking, I guess. Or Carl Sagan. Or smoking with Carl Sagan.

Today in K-Mart I had a bad experience on line. When does that not happen to me at K-Mart? I think it's mandatory that their cashiers are given downers before they start their shifts. They're slow as molasses, and rude. And my kids were going bananas, too. Plus, I held up the line trying to convince her that my items were on sale.

Yaakov's cell phone got waterlogged and it stopped working. He put it in the oven to dry it out. I'm not kidding. Do not try this at home. Do not pass go. Do not collect two hundred dollars. Do not put your cell phone in the oven at 170 degrees for half an hour. (The weirdest thing is, it worked!) Paging all engineering drop-outs: your Nerd Overlord has arrived.


7 Comments:

  • At 3:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi. I am in Israel and just found your blog. I love it. It seems you spend an awful lot of time in stores/malls etc. Is that because there is nothing else to do???

     
  • At 8:54 AM, Blogger Maven said…

    truthfully, i spend most of my time at home. i guess that's where the "stay at home mom" part kicks in. but since i'm part of a family of 6 people, i generally take 2 trips to publix a week and one trip to the heimishe food store. i *do* go to the mall often, but only for their indoor playground. sometimes i go to the thrift store, woo-hoo!

    when i'm not taking care of my kids, folding laundry, washing dishes, cooking, etc. i'm looking up dead astrophysicists online and smoking the occasional cigarette. and blogging. i should spend more time working on my relationship with G-d, which i aim to do.

    so to answer your inquiry, yes, it seems i am in stores/malls rather frequently - but not because there's nothing else to do. it's just a part of everything else that needs to get done!

     
  • At 9:40 AM, Blogger Mrs Andy said…

    And you should add, even You need to get out and about every so often!

    But, my real comment is this...I did a similar thing with my cell phone which I washed once..oops! I let it sit out for about a year and it works now! I think Y's way is faster, even though I would never try that!

     
  • At 10:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I am a SAHM of five, I know what you go through, though mine are mostly older (just one 2.5 year old left "lying around"). I make it my business to do no more than two grocery runs/week - some weeks only one. We are fortunate that it's one-stop kosher shopping here. It's not my favorite place to be. I wish we had thrift stores like in the States, I really miss those. I do not miss the malls and K-Marts and Targets very often: once we got here I realized that in order to "save", we had been spending too much. My house is full of too much "stuff". Here, where things truly are expensive, we just stopped shopping "for fun" and "to save". We buy what we need when we need it, works okay over here.
    The reason I posted my first comment was that when my kids were small, I HATED going to the mall and your stories about your kids behavior ring a bell. I wonder if it's worth it.
    Enjoy your summer!

     
  • At 12:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Roundrobin: Your mall comment just reminded me of something...for the longest time, my mom always said my first word was Target, and I thought she was joking. It turns out that it was! She had three kids in under four years, and she and the other moms would meet at the mall, and walk around to escape the heat...and she would point out the names of the stores...and one day I beat her to the punch!

     
  • At 10:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    smoking what Mave?
    Gut Shabbos

     
  • At 2:28 PM, Blogger Maven said…

    crack, of course.

    shabbat shalom u'mevorach.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home


My Photo Name: Fancy Schmancy Anxiety Maven
Location: Chutz l'aretz - Outside of Brooklyn

fancymaven at gmail dot com