Wednesday, August 01, 2007
T.V. = TabooVision

I got a call from Hinda this morning, asking me if I knew any 5th grade girls in the neighborhood. A new family moved in, and she's helping their daughter.

So she tells me that she knows a family with a 5th grader, "but the mother was talking about a TV program
once, and I didn't want to send this little girl there..."

I said I didn't know any 5th graders, but I recommended two lovely 3rd graders that I knew. Hinda was delighted! "Oh yes, they're aidel girls. Perfect." It was only after I got off the phone with her that I realized that one of those girls had a television in her house.

This whole conversation struck me.
TV is a little taboo in the chassidishe velt. You always hear stories about chassidim sneaking TV's into their homes in refrigerator boxes.

When I lived in Crown Heights, I only knew of three families with a television. No doubt there were many, many more. Here, I can think of lots of families with them. All are lovely people. One is even a good friend. It bothered me a little that Hinda was so quick to judge.


And here's what's ironic: Yaakov and I have never owned a TV, but we do have internet. And you know what Yaakov finds on the internet? Star Trek! So we're not watching TV, per se, but we like to chill every now and again with Captain Picard. I almost want to call her up and tell her. What would she think of me then?

Who knows? Maybe she's a closet Trekkie.


6 Comments:

  • At 6:58 PM, Blogger Ayelet Survivor said…

    and people wonder why I'm not chassidish... ;)

    I honestly think that TV is harmless in moderation. As long as you realize that it's not a reflection of reality, or morality.

     
  • At 8:46 PM, Blogger lxr23g56 said…

    You do realize that Star Trek (especially The Next Generation) is just a metaphorical expression of Reform Theology. Don't believe me, you can check it out at askmoses.com. LOL JK, It's a more Reconstructionist.

    While I'm at it, if you're watching television on the Internet (as you don't have a TV). if you're looking for something really good you should seriously consider checking out Jericho. It's absolutely amazing and Steg watches it so it's gotta be kosher.

     
  • At 5:49 AM, Blogger Maven said…

    ayelet: i think some things on tv are very worthwhile and educational.

    also, i think what you say is true: that it's not a reflection of reality or morality. unfortunately, some people can't make that distinction. (most of america?)

    tg: trek is a metaphor for reform theology because both have no god! ha ha - gotcha!

    actually, there have been some very interesting theological reflections on star trek that have made me think a lot (a notable episode was the resurrection of the klingon messiah). but now i'm waving my nerdy flag.

    as for watching MORE internet tv, i don't think i could handle it.

     
  • At 7:47 AM, Blogger Stephanie said…

    funny,,,you don't really need a tv much anymore, most of the networks run the shows on the internet, like abc.com, etc. I happen to like the HBO presentations. Big Love is about polygamy in the Mormon world. The Mormon world, like chassidic world is a world within themselves it seems. Very interesting!

     
  • At 9:09 AM, Blogger Mrs Andy said…

    Can I please make the point that Big Love does not represent the Mormon World. The LDS Church stopped the practice of polygamy in 1890, we believe as directed by our Prophet from the L-rd. Any person claiming to be Mormon and a polygamist is not. Any person who was Mormon and started to practice polygamy is excommunicated, or never was a Mormon to begin with.

    I also have to state that our Church's leadership has come out and asked HBO to not run Big Love and has asked that all members not watch it.

    As for the Mormon world being insular, we are not. Sure we have our "culture" just as any sect of religon does. However, we are encouraged by our leadership to break out of our little Mormon world and do good in the world and to serve our fellow men and women. You will find Mormons friendly, welcoming and happy to talk to you about anything. I for one have more non-Mormon friends that Mormon friends. We live in the world, but not of the world.

    Please, know that what you see on TV is not the truth. Sorry to do this on your blog Maven, but I felt I had to make this clarification for anyone that reads the comments.

     
  • At 10:38 AM, Blogger Maven said…

    eden: i don't mind you defending or explaining your faith on my blog.
    thank you for sharing that with all of us.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home


My Photo Name: Fancy Schmancy Anxiety Maven
Location: Chutz l'aretz - Outside of Brooklyn

fancymaven at gmail dot com