Sunday, August 26, 2007
The truth hurts:

Every couple of months we have a family get-together - a birthday, yom tov, thanksgiving, whatever. Today's gathering was for Srulik's birthday. My brother's girlfriend came. She moved to Florida to be with him before their November Israel trip.

I like her a lot, yet I feel threatened by her. Her youth, her beauty, the enchanting spell she casts on my children. She dresses like a twenty-something hottie, fascinating to Chaya and bothersome to me.

Today, Yaakov and my brother were talking about building our sukkah together. She piped in that she wanted to join. I felt indignant. You think you're going to come half-dressed to my house and build a sukkah with my husband? You got another thing coming, missy!

I used to go into frum homes dressed like that, and, like her, I had no clue. A little empathy would be in order, right? Right? But no - I just feel jealous.

She's awesome - I hate feeling this way.


3 Comments:

  • At 9:02 AM, Blogger Scraps said…

    Jealousy is an ugly feeling, especially when you realize that it's not fair but you feel it anyway.

    Is there any way you could politely pull her aside and mention that slightly more modest dress would be appreciated, in a way that wouldn't offend her?

     
  • At 9:30 AM, Blogger Mrs Andy said…

    Ok, breath!

    Now, ask your brother to talk to her about wearing more modest clothing to your house. If he won't, then you will have to. Or at least sit down with your girls and have a talk with them about modesty, why your family chooses to dress the way it does, and that girlfriend is in charge of her own body and choice, but that you still love her because your brother loves her.

     
  • At 12:52 PM, Blogger lxr23g56 said…

    I say feel jealous but act like mensch. It's still raising sparks IMO. And maybe it will help you out a little further down the road you when you find yourself in a similar situation.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home


My Photo Name: Fancy Schmancy Anxiety Maven
Location: Chutz l'aretz - Outside of Brooklyn

fancymaven at gmail dot com