Tuesday, July 17, 2007
Meshuggener Magnet....

So I'm in Publix today with 3 kids. I needed to go down a certain aisle, but there was a lady blocking it with her cart. She was re-arranging Coke cans on the end-cap display. Finally I said, "Excuse me, ma'am." She turned and grumbled loudly, but acquiesced.

I continued shopping and got on line. The lady in front of me was slowwwwly placing each item onto the belt. Then she started to push her cart backwards, edging me out of line. When she did that, I realized it was Coke-can lady.

I didn't think anything about it, I just waited until she moved her cart again. Then I put down one of those plastic divider thingies and proceeded to put my groceries on the belt. She threw her lettuce at the magazines and yelled, "Would you wait?! I'm not *&$#@% done with my groceries yet!" My eyes flew open in surprise. The cashier looked at her, startled.

Whoa.

"The belt moves," I pointed out to her. "Even if you aren't done it will still make room." (You see, I hadn't realized she was a total nutjob at this point. What can I do? I'm slow about these things.) When it was my turn to pay, the cashier told me she said I was stalking her throughout the entire store. "Don't tell the management," I replied. "Okay," she grinned. "Just stop stalking people."

When I recounted the story to Yaakov, I told him I understand why he calls me a meshuggener magnet. "Like attracts like," I laughed. "Don't get excited," he said. "You're not that bad."


3 Comments:

  • At 4:21 PM, Blogger Wendy said…

    Yikes! Serious crazy. And who curses when there are kids right there? Unbelievable.

     
  • At 5:44 PM, Blogger Ayelet Survivor said…

    I think it's because you live chutz l'aretz. Everyone knows there are no crazy people in NYC.

     
  • At 2:32 PM, Blogger Mrs Andy said…

    Wendy you'd be surprised at how many parents swear around their kids and they don't even know it. When I was teaching, I was in a parent conference regarding a student's swearing habits. The parent had no idea of where the kid had even picked up the language, then I heard the parent talking to his kid, who was also in the room. That apple didn't fall far from the tree. It's sad really that communication in families--where communication should be at it's highest--is often dragged down into the gutter of society.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home


My Photo Name: Fancy Schmancy Anxiety Maven
Location: Chutz l'aretz - Outside of Brooklyn

fancymaven at gmail dot com