Friday, November 30, 2007
I don't have a teddy bear named Mohammed...

I think I understand the anthropological term "Cultural Relativity." We cannot understand different cultures, therefore, we cannot judge them.

Yet I'm very disturbed by the current situation in Sudan. Hello? What is up with this British teacher being imprisoned?

She let her students choose a name for a stuffed bear, as they studied animals and their habitats. The students chose the name "Mohammed." Yet she, the teacher, is condemned for it and rioters are calling for her death.

Um, wait a second here. The students chose the name. Maybe, instead of blaming the teacher, the parents could talk to their kids. Maybe they could tell them they feel it's inappropriate to name a stuffed animal after their prophet.

Or here's another thought: Maybe those kids loved their prophet so much, that they chose this popular Islamic name. I mean, for goodness sake! Why does everything have to be spin-doctored so much? Why does it have to be turned into something anti-Islamic? They chose the name because they liked it!!!

The good news is, many British Muslims are standing up for the teacher. Mohammed Akbar Ali, a community leader from Gillian’s home city of Liverpool, stated: “She is not a person who is radically trying to enforce her views. It is just an innocent mistake from a respectable woman.” Khalid Anis, of the Islamic Society of Britain, said: “This has no basis in religion. It is a political football and enough is enough.” And Muhammed Abdul Bari, Secretary-General of the Muslim Council of Britain, said: “This is a disgraceful decision and defies common sense.”

I agree with those gentlemen. And I'll bet the Prophet Mohammed (peace be upon him) would, too.



1 Comments:

  • At 12:04 PM, Blogger Mrs Andy said…

    I think the situation is exactly what the gentelman said, "a political football". I honestly believe she did not know, and really meant no harm. I can see any kid naming their stuffed bear a familiar name.

    I also think the islamc-fundamentalist governement of the Sudan is using this situation as an attempt to humilate the west and to try and stir up trouble around the world.

    I pray for this woman and that she some how can be removed from Sudan. I hope that G-d is merciful with her and that cooler heads prevail.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home


My Photo Name: Fancy Schmancy Anxiety Maven
Location: Chutz l'aretz - Outside of Brooklyn

fancymaven at gmail dot com