Tuesday, November 13, 2007
Yaakov and Rochel, sitting in the tree...

Last night, Yaakov was eating supper and reviewing the parsha. He pointed out the manner in which the biblical Yaakov "met" Rochel. "See, as soon as he pushes the huge rock off the well, he goes and kisses her." We both started debating the finer points of the story. How is it that he kisses her before he's officially married to her? How come the first thing he does to her is kiss her? He doesn't even introduce himself!

Meanwhile, Chaya-super-spy overheard (never mind the fact that she's not even in the same room). "What?! Yaakov kissed Rochel?" Yes, he kissed her. "On the lips?" I don't know. "How come Rabbi T. didn't tell us this in school? I'm going to ask him tomorrow." She chirped on and on about it, until bedtime.

One part of me is a little bothered by all this. How I wish Chaya didn't pick up on every little thing! Yet, another part feels very okay. I think Chaya has some idea about men and women, anyway. She's seen Disney videos in the pediatricians' office. There are some kissing scenes, much to my chagrin. I guess If she's going to learn about it, better from Yaakov and Rochel, right?

As long as she doesn't figure out what the folks in Sodom were doing...


7 Comments:

  • At 9:38 PM, Blogger Dinosaur Mom said…

    Can we do better than Holy Writ in these matters? Better Yaakov and Rachel than %^$#@! Disney Princesses. Roar.

     
  • At 10:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Fancy, that is so funny...because my name is Rochel, I have always had such a "crush" on Yaakov (the biblical character) and thought the story was SO romantic...When you describe it your way, it is kind of crazy! Oh well...I always have been a crazy romantic...and I agree with Dinosaur Mom...much better Rochel than Ariel! :)

     
  • At 3:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    what in the world is that comment?

     
  • At 3:57 PM, Blogger Wendy said…

    Kids hear everything. But I've found some of my best conversations with the kids are born from overheard stuff...

     
  • At 8:40 PM, Blogger Ayelet Survivor said…

    That's why Yaakov would never get a shidduch today -- he's not shomer negiah. (And I hear his brother is a real vilde chaye!)

     
  • At 11:02 AM, Blogger yingerman said…

    This comment has been removed by the author.

     
  • At 11:03 AM, Blogger yingerman said…

    Uhhh. Yakov also kissed the sheep!
    Dont get in a twist here, it was a common thing to do then, it was just a greeting think Italian.

    Lavan kissed Yakov on the mouth, so says the pasuk, but rachel was 'airbrushed'.
    Rabbaynu b'chaya says it was a hem kiss out of respect, for Yakov's mom.

    The pasuk indicates that Yakov saw the sheep of Lavan, his mothers brother, and Yakov saw Rachel daughter of Lavan, his mothers brother.
    What's up with the mothers brother bit?
    Seforno says that the kissing was in respect to Yakov's mother's wishes to 'hang out' in Padan Aram.

    Ramban also has his say, that Rachel was a minor, and thats why tthe elder Leah did not wander outdoors. Kissing a little kid, who happens to be your cousin, whats the fuss?

    OK have to confess that I only know all this stuff 'cause my almost grown up daughter asked me "if the avos kept all the mitzvos how could he touch, nuch less kiss a girl?"

    So as a good tati, i had to find out.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home


My Photo Name: Fancy Schmancy Anxiety Maven
Location: Chutz l'aretz - Outside of Brooklyn

fancymaven at gmail dot com