Wednesday, December 19, 2007
Just a Geek...

Today was Yaakov's 39th birthday. He was also in NY on business. So I was brainstorming on what to get, hoping to have a nice present waiting for him when he gets home.

I couldn't think of anything. I've bought him ties before, so that's old news. He doesn't wear jewelery. He has enough Patchouli oil in the bathroom cabinet. I found his book-light, so I don't need to buy another one of those. He doesn't smoke anymore, so I can't buy him pipe tobacco or fancy Nat Sherman's. I thought of getting him a gift certificate for a massage, but I knew he wouldn't be into it. I even thought of calling his Grateful Dead buddies, to ask if they'd let him sit in on bass. But I knew if I did that, Yaakov would think I was
being "pushy."

So what to get for such a man? I decided that a book would be the way to go. But which one? He owns practically every sci-fi book known to man. I bought him the Steve Wozniak autobiography already. I recently purchased a book on steam trains for him, and he has tons of NASA/space books. He's been learning Rambam's "Mishneh Torah," but I don't know what sefer he's in. I couldn't think of another Jewish book he would like, and I wanted it to be a surprise.

And then it hit me: "Just a Geek," by Wil Wheaton. I was so proud of myself! Wil Wheaton is the counter-culture star for nerds and trolls. And since Yaakov is happy to be alone, all day long, programming computers, he can safely be put into that category (and I say that with great affection).

So anyway, I started to call the local bookstores. "Just a Week?" "No no, Just a GEEK, by Wil Wheaton." "Wheaton: W-H-E-A-T as in Tony-O-N." I started calling other bookstores. I called bookstores that were an hour away. Nobody had this book! I was getting so tired of saying the book name, over and over again. The worst was when when an employee actually read the subtitle to me: "Unflinchingly honest tales of the search for life, love, and fulfillment beyond the Starship Enterprise." I wanted to die in a pool of nerdiness.

Each book store told me they could order it, but I can do that from Amazon. What I want is a wrapped present for when he arrives home.

So Yaakov, if you're reading this, happy birthday. I really tried to get you a gift.


1 Comments:

  • At 12:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    awwwwwww, shucks!

    thanks. you're too much X)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home


My Photo Name: Fancy Schmancy Anxiety Maven
Location: Chutz l'aretz - Outside of Brooklyn

fancymaven at gmail dot com