Thursday, November 17, 2005
Perel.

Reb Shlomo Carlebach had an expression, "S/he gave me back my soul."

I was grocery shopping this morning, when an old lady started chirping over my kids. I started talking to her, and I asked if she was Jewish (she was). "Do you light shabbos candles?" I asked. She answered with a heavy accent; "I light every Friday night and I say modeh ani every morning. I was in a concentration camp and I said modeh ani every morning then, too. Even when I had no breakfast, I still said modeh ani."

I leaned down to hug and kiss her. I was so touched by the idea of her thanking G-d every day for restoring her soul, even in the most horrific circumstances. How she loved and thanked G-d even when she wasn't being fed. How she loves and thanks G-d til this day, after G-d allowed a holocaust to claim her 9 siblings and parents.

I embraced her again, and cried my way to the cash register. I cried on line. I cried on the way home. I cried when I told Mrs. Stein.

Thank you, Perel. You gave me back my soul.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


My Photo Name: Fancy Schmancy Anxiety Maven
Location: Chutz l'aretz - Outside of Brooklyn

fancymaven at gmail dot com