Thursday, November 10, 2005
Thanksgiving

Holy cow - it's 2 weeks away. I completely forgot. I'm too busy being traumatized post-hurricane!

I have divided opinions on this event. As a religious Jew, I have my own holidays (and Thanksgiving aint one of 'em). It doesn't mean anything to me on a spiritual level. On the other hand, I'm an American (and a history buff). I can appreciate Thanksgiving from that perspective, at least. Plus, I can never get my grandparents to come for any yomim tovim. I'm challishing they should come for Pesach, but would they? NO. Thanksgiving? Well, that's a nice, safe holiday. Not too religious for them.

I made Thanksgiving last year and the family came. I made my very first turkey. I even stuffed it and sewed it up with a needle and thread, just like Martha Stewart would. Heck, the turkey had
to be fancy schmancy - I served it with instant mashed potatoes (nobody noticed). I made everyone at the table say something that they were thankful to Hashem for, so at least I schlepped G-d into it, too.

Then I made turkey soup with matzo balls for shabbos, and we had leftover turkey and fixins' for dinner. It was good.

So this afternoon I called the family and penciled them in - Thanksgiving, here we come.



1 Comments:

  • At 7:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wow.. I can totally relate.... We did the same thing..,, Turkey soup. too... Do you live in NMB??

     

Post a Comment

<< Home


My Photo Name: Fancy Schmancy Anxiety Maven
Location: Chutz l'aretz - Outside of Brooklyn

fancymaven at gmail dot com