Wednesday, April 26, 2006
The delicious morning:

Today, I did something I haven't done in years. Something that made me feel alive. Something that made me think; "I wonder if Rebbetzin Plony would do this?"

I went to the beach.

Mrs. Stein had my kids for 3 hours, so off I went. I had my bag all packed so I could run out the door as soon as my kids were gone.

I wore a housecoat, beret, and knee highs. I got to the beach, laid out my old tie-dye blanket, and plopped myself down. I sat in the sun and read my book about Ireland. I watched people walk by wearing things that showed how remarkably they accepted their bodies. I saw a guy - old as the hills - in a speedo.

I went into the water and just sat there, my housecoat infiltrated by sand. The waves crashed over me and splattered my sunglasses. The sun shone brightly and the salty air invigorated. I thanked Hashem for the beautiful moment, for the amazing ocean.

I kept feeling like I was doing something wrong, it was so self-indulgent.


3 Comments:

  • At 12:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Isn't it crazy that having some quiet time for you is considered indulgent? You didn't spend any money, you didn't eat anything totally unhealthy, you didn't do anything...just enjoyed something Hashem made and gave thanks.

    May you get the chance to do it over and over! :)

     
  • At 7:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Agreed, I say! as I secretly munch a bar of dark chocolate and look at the internet ( the 3 little kiddos are in bed!!)- I'd rather be at the beach!

     
  • At 3:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    it isn't indulgent at all my dear, it is being part of the Creation of the Creator.
    A Mikve in the Ocean in the best.

    Hashem is in everything, and, don't forget, the Waters of Life flow from Binah.

    You write marvelously.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home


My Photo Name: Fancy Schmancy Anxiety Maven
Location: Chutz l'aretz - Outside of Brooklyn

fancymaven at gmail dot com